Grand Slam Club/Ovis    Interactive Home    Community Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  California Bighorn Sheep    Transplant in B.C. (GSCO Funds)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transplant in B.C. (GSCO Funds)
 Login/Join

posted

More bighorn sheep captured, released
By Scott Trudeau
Monday, January 15, 2007, 12:01 AM

A second capture and release of California Bighorn Sheep in Keremeos last Thursday yielded a total of 23.

An additional eight sheep were caught to go with the 15 from the previous day’s capture.

A total of 10 mature females, one yearling ewe and two females were caught; nine males including a pair of three-year-olds were captured and one did not have its sex recorded.

Brian Harris, a wildlife biologist with the Ministry of Environment said primary funding for the project was supplied by the Habitat Conservation Trust Fund which is a surcharge on hunting and fishing licences and supported by the Foundation for North American Wild Sheep, Grand Slam Club Ovis and the Wild Sheep Society of B.C.

All sheep were released in Okanagan Mountain Provincial Park following their capture.

© Copyright by PentictonHerald.ca

Posts: 1168 | Location: Colorado | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I was not able to participate in this transplant. Too bad it did not happen on a weekend.

I hope the sheep do well.

It's the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 6 | Location: b.c. | Registered: December 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the type information that I love to see. Brings back memories from a misspent youth and points a flaming arrow to a brighter future. I was in zoology-ecology grad. school at the U of BC from '68-'71 and lived in the Okanagan from May 1970 to July 1971. I used to travel through the lower Okanagan via Skaha lake and Keremeos a lot. I vividly remember the bighorn sheep along the highway. For some strange reason, even though I hunted other animals, I never once thought about hunting them. Must have been something about their proximity to civilization. Thanks again for sharing information about the $$$ being put on the ground.

Posts: 100 | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post