Grand Slam Club/Ovis    Interactive Home    Community Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  California Bighorn Sheep    Idaho areas for California bighorns
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho areas for California bighorns
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone have any recommendations on the California bighorn hunts in Idaho? I would be doing it myself (no guide) if the moon and sun and stars all lined up just right and I drew a tag. Anyone with any prior experience there?

Just trying to generate some discussion. Not looking for top secret spots (of course, I'd take those too Smile )

Posts: 30 | Location: Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NV,

7001 and 7004 have the best harvest rates with 7001 being the most consistent for the past several years.

HM

Posts: 10 | Registered: December 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think there was a new state record Cali taken in Idaho last season. Seems like it was in Jacks Creek. I will do some digging.

Posts: 95 | Location: Clarkston, WA | Registered: November 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ramslam, I think there's a picture of the ram you are talking about on the Idaho FNAWS chapter webpage but it doesn't say which area. Just the "Owyhees".
Idaho FNAWS

I'd love information on it even if it's nothing more than what it actually scores. Previous record according to Idaho record book webpage was 174 4/8 from 1997 so the new one must be a hog. That's a great California ram.

BTW, I received a copy of Wa FNAWS newsletter. Very nice. How do you manage to get the job of surveying the sheep pops in Washington? Smile I want your job.

Posts: 30 | Location: Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To clarify, I believe that Idaho ram is a new state record taken by a hunter. Is the 174 ram a pickup? I didnt take the time to look it up but I believe thats the situation. I have read the story on the ram and I think it was Jacks Creek or Little Jacks Creek.

Well my job isnt surveying the Rocky herds but I live right here and I do spend a considerable amount of time looking for sheep. Most of the actual numbers I get periodically as part of the Hells Canyon Initiative. I have spent a couple summers working for the department, however, doing surveys. What a great way to spend my summer away from school! I logged about 1500 miles during the rut check on herds down here. A proposal I sent to WDFW was approved by the state last weekend. It looks like the WAFNAWS chapter will get to market the only Rocky tag in Washington beginning in 2005. The tag covers 3 herds (one hasnt been hunted since 1999 and the other two since 1996). I will keep everyone posted as the plans become finalized.

Glen

Posts: 95 | Location: Clarkston, WA | Registered: November 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glen,

You're right, the 174 4/8 ram was a pickup skull.

posted Hide Post
So what's the deal with Idaho applications and the second choice field? Does the second choice ever do you any good? Or is it like I understand it is in some states where the second choice is only used if the are remaining tags AFTER every other applicants first choice is filled. Or is it like in Nevada where if you are drawn and your first choice has no remaining tags they go to your second and so on. I know people who have drawn their second choice on sheep in Nevada but I am told it never happens in Idaho. Anyone know?

posted Hide Post
My cousin talked to IDFG about this last year. According to the person he spoke with, the second choice only comes into play if that second choice selection is an undersubscribed hunt. So, basically there is no sense in selecting one. Not sure how reliable his source was but that's what he was told.

posted Hide Post
Ramslam is correct. You can see the stats here:

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/hunt/ch/oddinfo.cfm

There are were no second choices drawn in ID for 2003. All applicants' first choice is considered before any second choices are.

---------------------------
"Take what the gods offer today and leave your heart's desire until tomorrow."
-- Elgin T. Gates, Trophy Hunter in Asia

Posts: 36 | Location: Alabama, USA | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So it's a waste of ink. Doesn't matter for this year. My app is already in and the wasted ink is already dry.

Thanks.

posted Hide Post
So, what did you put in for? I was going to apply for moose, but got it in the mail before the deadline for 41. I figured it had a bit better draw odds than the other unit with the whole season. I really do not want to be limited to just two weeks. Good luck.

Posts: 7 | Registered: April 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I applied for 41 also. Now we wait, just like all the other states. You pay your money and you take your chances, I guess.

posted Hide Post
So any guesses on when the drawing results will be out? The regulations and web page say June 10. Last year I know the results were out May 14 but I can't remember if the regulations said they would be that early or not. Was the date moved out this year or can we expect results earlier than June 10? Impatient aren't I?

posted Hide Post
I just checked, knowing that they posted around now last year. I bet by the end of next week. If I do not draw, good luck.

posted Hide Post
Results are up. Nada for me. anyone else?

posted Hide Post
Not one out of 37 nonresidents drew unit 41. They have the odds up. Looks like elk and deer in ID this year for me.

posted Hide Post
True, no NR tags in 41 again. But statistically I don't think there's any reason for it happening that way. Just luck of the draw and the way the chips fall.

posted Hide Post
When it was a one tag per unit nonresident limit, you could get real good draw odds by picking a unit with not many nonresident applicants. They gave out around 20% of the tags to nonresidents then. Now, you need to beat the 10% total cap too, so might as well go for a bit better unit. If I had to guess, I would say draw odds are more like 50:1 for nonresidents now, where as before you could get 10:1 or better draw odds by picking the right unit. I drew one like that in 99.

posted Hide Post
How does Idaho do the refund? I applied over the phone with CC. Do they send a check or credit the card?

Posts: 37 | Location: Swartz Creek, Mi U.S. | Registered: December 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure if you check your card you have been charged for it (along with 3% extra for the priviledge) so they will send you a check. Not positive because I beat them at their own game and use a check from my credit card bank. No 3% fee and I know I will get a check in the mail to pay my card back.