Grand Slam Club/Ovis    Interactive Home    Community Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  California Bighorn Sheep    John Day River Sheep Tag
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Day River Sheep Tag
 Login/Join

posted
Hello everyone. New to the forum and new to sheep hunting as I finally drew my first ever sheep tag (after 15 years applying in EVERY western state). Drew the only non-resident tag for the W. John Day River area. Am working on accurately field judging the California Bighorn and am getting pretty good (by looking at photos, figuring scores, then comparing to actual scores). Problem is that it is hard to find California Bighorn photos or videos (easy to find Rockys, Deserts, etc..). Does anyone know if there are any DVD's or Videos that have been made specifically for the California subspecies? Or does anyone have photos they could send me that I could practice on? Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks..

Posts: 6 | Location: california | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out the Wild sheep society of British Columbia The have a great Horn curl education program. Cut and past the link in your browser http://www.wildsheepsociety.org/ and test your self. Good Luck on the hunt.

Posts: 2 | Location: Michigan | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Deadbear. That is a cool little test they put together. I went 8 for 12. Reminded me of my school days when they "trick" you on a few.. Thanks again.

Posts: 6 | Location: california | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Tad, we talked about the john day river as I hunted there two years ago. well bad news the latest fires hit the area hard around jim browns property and jack knife ridge. you may have to look farther north to lease access rights.

Posts: 1 | Registered: July 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Ryan, not sure if you are out there, but I killed a really nice sheep. I will try to post the pic here, if not, shoot me your e-mail address and I will send to you. Killed it off Byrons property to the north of Jim Browns.. Tad