Grand Slam Club/Ovis    Interactive Home    Community Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  GSCO Member Services    GSCO Defends Copyrights, Trademarks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GSCO Defends Copyrights, Trademarks
 Login/Join 
posted
Grand Slam Club/Ovis Defends Copyrights, Trademarks

Birmingham, Alabama, November 9, 2006 — Grand Slam Club/OVIS (“GSCO”) filed a complaint today in Birmingham’s federal court against the Foundation for North American Wild Sheep (“FNAWS”) and the International Sheep Hunters Association Foundation, Inc. (“ISHA”). With this lawsuit, GSCO is trying to stop FNAWS and ISHA’s unauthorized use of GSCO’s trademarks and copyrights. GSCO has worked diligently to solve this dispute over the course of two years. The groups even negotiated an agreement, and portions of it were printed for their respective memberships in Grand Slam and Wild Sheep magazines. Unfortunately, FNAWS and ISHA have broken the agreement and have refused to stop using GSCO’s trademarks and copyrights, leaving GSCO no other alternative but to ask for relief through the legal system. GSCO hopes this lawsuit will resolve fairly to all parties, with FNAWS and ISHA agreeing to respect GSCO’s intellectual property so that we may together effectively serve the hunting community.

Posts: 111 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those concerned about the disruptive and financial aspects of the disagreement over the slam and grand slam terminology, it is important to keep moving forward with the fundraising and the work for sheep and goats. Driving down the street the other day, I passed a truck that helped (once again) me keep a proper perspective on things. It was a plumbers truck. On the side was their motto: Without us, where would you go?

Without the wildlife conservation organizations, where would the sheep go? We have to keep supporting the organizations even if some of the funds end up in places where we would rather they not be spent. Something is always more than nothing.

Posts: 100 | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OregonCarl:

You are correct.Seems it is always about the money.For the "Love of the Game" no longer applies and unfortunatly keeps all but us few die hards on the outside.I am the guy you see at the shows looking at the great taxidermy work,taking pictures,getting brochures,magazines,dvds, and talking to anyone who will answer my questions and yet I know that more likely than not I will never fire a shot at a sheep just because I do not have the funds.Not because I do not have the desire,want or love of the game.

Posts: 25 | Registered: January 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has this issue been resolved?

Posts: 21 | Location: Alaska | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still seems to be in limbo. Heard Ray Lee say in Victoria that they (FNAWS?) are working on setting up an informal meeting.

Also heard Ray Lee say something that unscores my conviction that this dispute may be the least of the worries for most North American sheep hunters. Recalling an earlier comment where someone was concerned because GSC/Ovis (and ostensibly FNAWS as well) was driving up the cost of sheep hunting and reducing the opportunities of the average hunter to go sheep hunting, by bringing all this attention to sheep hunting, Ray Lee said to the guide-outfitters of B. C. that on his trips to Europe that he is doing what he can to stir up interest for sheep hunting in North America. Guess what that is going to do to the cost of North American wild sheep hunting and who it is going to benefit. If you think sheep hunting is expensive now, even a modest increase in the number of hunters will have a disportionate impact on cost. Is that what FNAWS has become?

Anyone interested in commiserating outside this arena, I can be reached at OREGONCARL@AOL.COM.

Posts: 100 | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I seriously think this whole lawsuit thing sucks! It makes us all, as hunters and conservationists look very bad. Are "terms and trade marks" more important than are rights to hunt and how animals should be hunted?????? There is a serious lack of focus here. I think both clubs should go their own way and just work towards helping sheep. This isn't helping and it IS in fact hurting our cause. Enough already!

Posts: 1 | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post