Grand Slam Club/Ovis    Interactive Home    Community Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  Super Ten™    270WSM enough gun for elk??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

270WSM enough gun for elk??
 Login/Join

posted
Hi guys. I have an elk hunt planned for this fall. I really like my 270WSM and shoot it well. Have any of you had experience with elk and this caliber? I have larger guns, but don't like them as much. What bullets do you like best for this caliber?

Posts: 98 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: June 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Huntinman, dont take this the wrong way but, are you crazy? A .270WSM is more than enough gun for any elk. I have used mine twice in Kazachstan for Marals and they just fall over dead. I use Federal ammunition, 150 grain
Nosler partitions. I will say though, if you will be shooting in bush at close range then your .270 will not be the best gun. It is best used for longer shots. If you do use it, please use bullets which won't set up to fast. That is the only problem with the .270's a rather small selection of bullet weights. Hope this helps.

Posts: 13 | Registered: March 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have taken a big 250lb Blacktail, 2 big KS whitetails, some smaller whitetails here in the SE and a Desert Bighorn with my 270WSM. All of those except the Desert Bighorn were one shot kills. The sheep was bedded at an angle at about 120 yards, steep downhill angle and I shot him too far back. He did not go anywhere, just got up and walked about 10 or 15 feet and just stood there. My fault on that one. Most of the deer were dead before they knew they had been hit.

Having never taken an elk, was just curious what others thought. Thanks for the feedback.

Posts: 98 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: June 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Kimber 270 WSM. Used it here in Colo last year in unit 2 for a 340 type bull. I shoot Federal 130 gr Triple Shocks. Quartering toward me at 225 yards it knocked him right on his ass.

Posts: 17 | Location: Colorado | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the confidence you carry into the field with your firearm to make a great placement shot is more important than a higher caliber rifle you are not as confient with. Best of luck on your hunt! Smile

Posts: 16 | Location: Greencastle, Pa | Registered: August 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great rifle.I use it for Deer size game with a 130 grain bullet and I have shot elk with it and lighter bullet weights.Bullet placement is everything with ligher bullet weights but having shot over 20 elk perfect bullet placement does not always happen.The reality is that you do not always have a bench rest and a stationary target at close range.For bad bullet placement you are better off with a higher caliber rifle and at least a 180 grain bullet especially if you are in grizzly country.

Posts: 8 | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used a 270WSM last year on my elk hunt. Check out the video, it worked well for me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWeBV4MJgT4

Posts: 6 | Registered: June 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
azsundevil, awesome hunt! Great shot too. Do you mind telling me what bullet you used? You sure dropped him on the spot! Did you shoot him through the shoulders? Way to go!!

posted Hide Post
Thanks! I used Barnes Triple Shock 150 grain. The shot was 200 yards and just behind the shoulder. My guides were crucial to the hunt. Are you considering using guides, if so these guys are the best!

posted Hide Post
azsundevil, I do have a guide Chad Smith of Vaquero Outfitters is who I am going with. I hear he is very good. looks like your guys were good as well. One difference is that my hunt is a late rifle hunt... Won't get to see the bugling and fighting like you did. That was really neat on your video.

posted Hide Post
Wow... Chad Smith of Vaquero Outfitters was who I contracted with too. But, on my hunt I went with two of his people, Darr and Jay. You are in good hands! Good Luck!

posted Hide Post
azsundevil, did you draw a tag or were you hunting one of the private ranches?

posted Hide Post
I had 13 bonus points.... early rifle last year. Public land... but Chad was ready to take me to private if we needed.

posted Hide Post
Good for you! Sounds like they are a first class outfit. Looking forward to getting out there and hunting with his crew. Last time I was in AZ was in 2007 for a desert bighorn hunt. Fun, but awful cold up there in 13A during that hunt.

posted Hide Post
I am hoping for a bighorn tag next, 19 bonus points! Good luck with your elk tag... those guys will take good care of you!

posted Hide Post
azsundevil, if you are the same lady in the video, you parents must have started putting you in for sheep points when you were in kindergarten! Are you holding out for a particular unit? Do you have a preference for the mexicali or nelsoni subspecies?

posted Hide Post
My parents did put me in early. No particular unit, just waiting patiently for a tag...