New
Find
Notify
Tools

OK, I give...
 Login/Join

posted
What is the Super Ten??

Posts: 98 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: June 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Huntinman! You are the first person to find the Super Slam forum. If you will go to www.superslam.org, you will find all the information you can possibly absorb in a couple of hours of intensive browsing.

For sure, you need to click on the "Preview Issue" link on the home page. That will take you to an interactive opportunity to view the entire contents of the premiere issue of SUPER SLAM the publication. Your question is answered within the publication, but I am going to answer it here anyway.

By the way, we know who you are besides just your screen name Huntinman, and yes, you are a GSCO member and a 1/2 Slammer for that matter. You will probably be receiving your personal issue of SUPER SLAM next week. Until then, you will just have to read it on the screen!

Now to your question... The Super Ten is a new trademarked award milestone established by Grand Slam Club/Ovis. To achieve the Super Ten, a hunter must take at least one trophy from each of the ten different North American big game categories recognized by Super Slam. Those categories are: (1) Bears; (2) Cats; (3) Deer; (4) Elk; (5) Caribou; (6) Moose; (7) Bison/Musk Ox; (8) Mountain Goat; (9) Pronghorn; (10) Sheep. You can see the Super Ten form on the web site.

Posts: 32 | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now to give just a little more information about the Super Ten. As stated above, Grand Slam Club/Ovis has initiated this new award for our membership. It has been a long time in the making, as you will read in the premiere issue of SUPER SLAM. We began developing this program, along with the Super Slam program, almost 10 years ago.

We certainly hope that many of you will be as excited about the Super Ten as we are here at GSCO. (Ovis Ammon happens to be GSCO executive director Dennis Campbell.)

GSCO to date has concentrated on sheep and goats of the world, and will continue to do so. However, the founder of the Grand Slam Club, Bob Housholder, laid a groundwork for North American big game hunting achievements more than 40 years ago, and talked about them regularly in his Bulletins. It is only natural that GSCO would evolve into recognizing North American big game hunting.

The Super Ten is a natural step toward the Super Slam. I will talk more about the Super Slam under that topic. Remember that the Super Ten is one from each of the ten different Super Slam categories. The Super Slam is all 29 that make up the ten categories. Again, read more about that under the Super Slam topic.

In reality, very few hunters will ever accomplish taking the 29 recognized North American animals for the Super Slam. However, many more will qualify for the Super Ten, which is a tremendous lifetime accomplishment in itself.

A person must be a member of Grand Slam Club/Ovis to document and register their Super Ten and/or Super Slam trophies. We will be using all hunt reports submitted and listing those who have documented their Super Ten and Super Slam. Go to www.superslam.org to read more, download the Super Ten or Super Slam applications, read the premiere issue of the SUPER SLAM publication, and join GSCO.

Posts: 32 | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, for one, think it is a great idea. Especially the raffles. I just faxed in my premium membership. Thanks!

Posts: 98 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: June 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it's a pretty good idea. For most hunters, the Grand Slam is becoming unattainable due to cost. The Super Ten looks to have quite a bit of merit. It is something the "average joe" can obtain in a lifetime of hunting. It's something I'll seriously look into. Best of luck to all, whatever your hunting goals may be!

p.s. Should probably update my name (unless I kill two non-NA sheep, and become a 1/2slam again).

Posts: 48 | Location: nevada, usa | Registered: December 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post