Grand Slam Club/Ovis    Interactive Home    Community Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  Stone's Sheep    Stone Sheep Outfitters - Who and Why?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stone Sheep Outfitters - Who and Why?
 Login/Join

posted
Since it's been pretty quiet on the forum lately, I thought it would be good to get some discussion going.

So, I am considering going on a stone hunt and would love to hear the experiences of other people. I am in good shape, and have hunted sheep quite a bit (mostly bighorns). I have spent a lot of time on the phone talking to guys, but you just never know until you get on the ground what things are going to be like... I have a ton of questions all relating to picking the right outfit. Feel free to answer just one or a few if you like, but here is some of the items bouncing around my head:

- which stone outfitters would you highly recommend and why?
- which stone outfitters would you not touch with a 10 foot pole and why?
- other than the big name guys, are there any small "diamond in the rough" stone outfits out there?
- aside from BC, who are the good stone outfitters in the Yukon Territory?
- if I go to the Yukon, how likely would I be to end up with a fannin instead of a stone?

So, I'm not trying to start any wars, but would love to hear peoples thoughts.

Thanks! Confused

Posts: 48 | Location: Alberta | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tomahawk,
I would recomend Stone Mountain Safaris. I purchased a hunt with them through GSCO a couple years ago and had a streak of bad luck. What could go wrong did. Leif knew I put forth the efffort and he told me he would get me a ram and he did. I ended up with a 12 year old 36" heavy broomed ram this past year and could not be more pleased with the hunt and my ram. I found Leif to be a very honest and a man of his word and he really cares if you get your ram. I know he has went the extra mile for other hunters I have talked to. The camps are great, great crew, great food and even showers after them tough long hard days. He has a great area and I seen allot of rams. I really like the darker colored rams and this area is one of the better areas for that.
Definatly one you should consider and the best of luck with your decision

Posts: 2 | Registered: April 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey 180ram, thanks for that great post. It's even better when I hear something like this about one of the guys that was in my "top two" before asking the forum for opinions. I am giving some very serious consideration to going with him. I'm also with you as far as liking those dark rams. Not that I don't like the fannins, I'm just thinking that a fannin should be a fifth sheep (although I'm pretty sure my banker would disagree).

Posts: 48 | Location: Alberta | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tomahawk,
I like the way your are thinking! I as well plan to someday pursue a fannin as my fifth and a california to folow my rocky as my sixth. I don't think any sheep hunter is going to have a banker look at them as if they were not just a little crazy when it comes to the finacial evaluation of sheep hunting but as a sheep hunter there are just rules you must break. Sounds like to me you are on the right track for a successful stone sheep hunt.
Best of Luck!

Posts: 2 | Registered: April 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dale Drinkall is a great guy. Chance for a good sheep. Stone hunting is not easy. I hunted with Stone Mountain before it was sold. Got a ram on last day. I have killed a couple fannins. I think calling one a stone is cheating yourself. Just my opinion. I think a dark stone from northern BC is the ultimate sheep. Get in great shape and try hard and dont get too upset if you come home empty handed. I have hunted stones three times and killed two rams.

Posts: 44 | Location: spartansburg,pa | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Scott, I have also heard that Dale runs a heck of an outfit with sheep numbers as good as they get. The more I've thought about it over the last few days, I'm now pretty sure that I'm going to do something in that northern BC Muskwa Kechika area. I really want to take a dark stone.

You also give some good advice on not taking it too too hard if a guy were to come home empty. I really work hard almost all year round to stay in sheep shape, so that shouldn't be an issue, but that's really why we all hunt sheep I think. Because they are really tough to get! I live in Alberta, so I've come home from plenty of unsuccessful self-guided hunts. It's always hard to not be disappointed, but it sure does make it that much sweeter when a guy does put one on the wall.

Congrats on the two stones - that is a great accomplishment.

posted Hide Post
Hey Guys,

Just thought I would let you know that after an AGONIZING time and days upon days of research, I have booked a hunt with Darwin Cary of Scoop Lake Outfitters for early September. I'm so excited to get going, I'm not sure that I'll get any sleep for the next four months!

Anyway, just also a heads up to everyone that there seem to be a fair number of open spots for a 2009 stone still out there with some absolutely top notch outfits. If the economy hasn't got you hunkered down in the basement, you might want to consider chasing a stone this fall...