Grand Slam Club/Ovis    Interactive Home    Community Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  Stone's Sheep    To go or not to go: 2010 vs 2011
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To go or not to go: 2010 vs 2011
 Login/Join

posted
Still trying to get my act in gear and book a Stone sheep hunt. None of the outfits will honor the somewhat dated quotes I got back in 1976 at $3500-3600 for a 14 day horseback hunt. So I just got to get used to the "new economy". I would really appreciate any and all feedback [the good, the bad and the ugly] along the following lines, with emphasis on: Darwin Cary; Larry Warren; Dale Drinkall; Derek Drinnen; Jerry Geraci; Graig Kiselbach; Kevin Olmstead; Gerry Williams; Heidi Gutfrucht; Dennis LeVesque; and Steve Fiarchuk [first year at Christina Falls]. I am interested in all outfits, including Yukon Stone sheep outfitters, but can only recall these names for right now.

Topics/questions being:
First did you kill a ram? If not, please give me your opinion of your hunt anyway.
If you killed a ram: outfit, dates went; day of hunt that you took your ram, age, horn lengths, bases, color [from dark as sin to regular Yukon Fannin], hair length [baldy, Wall Street, frontiersman, etc.], quality observations of outfitter and guide, guide name, method of transport within area and hunt [horseback, foot, boat, etc.], other animals seen and taken; and finally a 1 POOR to 10 WOULD GO AGAIN IF I COULD WIN THE LOTTERY rating.

For confidential input, please send to: OREGONCARL@AOL.COM

Thanks, Carl D. Phillips, Portland, Oregon

Posts: 100 | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some info enroute to you.

Posts: 7 | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey OC,

I hope that you get to go chasing stones this year - I am jealous just thinking about it!

I went with Darwin Cary in 2009, and there is a thread in the stone sheep segment of this forum with most of the details. Enter the thread, then click on "Comments" at the bottom of the slide show to see them.

I would also be happy to answer any further questions that you have. You can reach me at burtzz@telus.net

Posts: 48 | Location: Alberta | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OC,
I hunted stone sheep with Frank and Cindy Simpson of Simpson's Stone Sheep Aug. 1-15, 2009. It was an awesome hunt/experience with them and I would not hesitate to book with them again. Prior to my hunt, I called every hunter that hunted sheep with them for 2007 and 2008 to get every detail(good or bad) so I could make the best possible decision before laying down that kind of money on a hunt. Every hunter gave me very positive feedback and said they would book another stone hunt with the Simpson's if they did that type of hunt again. In fact, one hunter that did not connect (bad weather) booked the following year and did get his ram. Frank and Cindy went 7 for 7 in 2009 and most of the rams were very dark, averaged 38" and killed early in the hunt.

My personal experience was a horseback hunt to basecamp and then hiking from there to glass sheep. We saw sheep everyday and killed on day five after spiking out to an area that we could not get back to the same day. My ram was in a group of 12 rams, was very dark, 10 1/2 years old and broomed down to 37". We saw mtn. goats, moose (four monsters - one of which my guide said was a booner), mtn. caribou and eagles. Fortunately, we did not see any wolves, black bears or grizzles...not that I'm particularily spooked by them - just figured if I saw the preditors I would not see many sheep.
The Simpson's are a legend in the sheep business: their father hunted rocky's for many years in AB followed by Frank for stone's in BC and rocky's with his brother Flint in AB. Their other brother Stan hunts dall's in NWT. Frank runs two main camps with NO resident hunters invading his area to compete with. The reason for this is there are few lakes to land on and his area is so remote and too far up rivers to travel to.

I met all three of his guides and they are totally gung-ho to hunt sheep, have hunted with Frank for many years and have hunted sheep in general for many years as well. Frank and Cindy can be reached at Simpson's Stone Sheep, Ltd. P O Box 1901 Claresholm AB p(403)625-2150 f(403)625-2165 e franksimpson@xplornet.com www.simpsonstonesheep.com Good luck!

Posts: 4 | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To DUK DOG .... you mentioned something about some information coming my way but I can't relate any received materials to DUK DOG. Would appreciate further clarification or ...?... to my e-mail below.

To BLAIR and others who have provided very helpful information, advice and suggestions. I got most of my leads via the Guide Outfitters Association of B. C. website. www.goabc.org Their HUNTFINDER lets you identify an animal and put in your general pricing range. If an outfitter has anything in your range, you will likely hear something. I got several good leads but Simpson was not among them. I assumed that nonresponders are fully booked. And my first North American guided hunt was in 1965. There have been many more since then. Along with input from other, I use those experiences to make decisions.

Thanks again to all. The SE Alaska cruise is over. No Stone sheep hunt can approach the enjoyment I get from vacationing with my wife. But that doesn't mean there is no room for sheep hunting in my life. I've tried to figure out why I am somewhat fixated on sheep hunting. I don't need the meat to feed my family. I don't need the hide for clothing. I don't need [or want] to do it to impress anyone. I don't need to do it to prove to myself that I can do it .... I know I can. I don't need a Stone sheep for the 3/4 slam as I filled that 'slot' with a Fannin. In reality I don't need a desert bighorn for the Slam as I won't register it even if I get one. Lists and I no longer get along ... But I do believe in the fraternity of hunters involved in sheep hunting. They are many individuals who get a tremendous joy from life and an extraordinary satisfaction from tackling the difficult and often nigh on to impossible of chasing mountain sheep and goats. An interesting lot, by jove.

OREGONCARL@AOL.COM

posted Hide Post
E-mail sent. We have chatted, but you never knew me as Duk Dog. ;-)

Posts: 7 | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update. Many have shared good ideas and information and I have come up with some useful information in my search for a Stone sheep hunt this year. First: There are quite a few Stone sheep hunts available, some cancellations and some unfilled slots, some with the best out there. Second: I have not contacted BC Fish and Game to see what the allocation changes have been to other outfitters but at least one outfitter told me that their Stone sheep allocation is being cut about in half. Third: The supply and demand rule of price vs availability indicates, if other outfitters are also suffering reductions in allocations, that the price of a Stone sheep hunt will likely keep going up even in these tough financial times. Fourth: My philosophy on hunting now vs later is that I can always work an extra year 20 years down the road (i.e. defer retirement) to pay for what I am better able physically to do now. [I guess I'm going to be working until I am 89.] Fifth: I don't get a commission for 'selling' Stone sheep hunts for any outfitter. Sixth: It doesn't look like I am going Stone sheep hunting this year: My wife's mother's heart problems have not stabilized but may be getting worse. My first priority is my wife and her mother; I am but an occasional sheep hunter while I am constantly and passionately in LOVE with my wife.

If anyhone has any specific questions about the results of my searching for a Stone sheep hunt, please drop me a note at
OREGONCARL@AOL.COM

I will not answer outfitter specific questions in this site unless it is to report that I went after all and got a new world record Stone sheep ... or at least a nice, mature ram.

Carl D. Phillips
Portland, Oregon

posted Hide Post
Hey OC,

That is a great philosophy on both family and hunting. I'm sorry to hear that your wife's mother is not well, but those sheep will be there next year too.

Your findings are pretty much exactly what I found when I went searching for the "perfect" stone outfitter last year. I couldn't believe how many open spots there were with many of the best of the best outfitters. I was also told the same thing about the number of tags that were going to be cut in 2012. From what I heard, the F&W did the first round of cutting stone tags in about 2008, which removed about 25% of the allocation. Unless things changed, certain outfits will have their tags cut more than others, but the end result will be a lot less stone tags available to non-residents. Translation (in my mind) = increased price.

Speaking of which - when I was talking with a stone outfitter last year, he quoted me some stats on the total number of stones harvested versus the number of deserts. It was his opinion that there are less stones hunts available than there are desert hunts, so it was his feeling that either the price of stones was too low or the price of deserts too high. What do you think guys? With the number of seemingly increasing desert tags available, do you think that there is a chance that the price may come down? (Maybe wishful thinking by a 3/4 slammer that needs a desert!)

Not meaning to hijack your post OC, you just opened up an interesting question in my mind.

Posts: 48 | Location: Alberta | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The GSC/Ovis posts belong to the masses. At times I may throw out nothing but fertilizer [some people say it is naught but B___ S___]... being the Devil's advocate ... if it brings forth something of interest or value, all the better.
Hopefully our various postings will encourage others to expound or extend on the topic and/or share their experience(s). Little tidbits of information and strategy that are shared make us smarter when it comes to selecting where to go and who to go with.

OREGONCARL

PS The sheep may be there next year but what about my legs?