Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chadwick Ram
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking for the real story of the Chadwick Ram. I have looked thru my old FNAWS mags as I thought there was an article on it. I believe the ram was finished off by Chadwick's guide and am trying to find out his name and the name of any others on the hunt. Any info would be appreciated.

Posts: 37 | Location: Swartz Creek, Mi U.S. | Registered: December 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the story is in a chapter of Jack O'Connor's book "Sheep and Sheep Hunting". I'll check.

Posts: 17 | Location: Colorado | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is some info on the Chadwick ram in O'Connor's " Sheep and Sheep Hunting". The complete story by L. S. Chadwick, "Record On a Meat Hunt" is in "A Portrait of Sheep and Sheep Hunting" published by FNAWS. Copyright 1980.

Posts: 17 | Location: Colorado | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure Frank Golata and Roy Hargreaves were his guides. Chadwick dinged it and Golata and Hargreaves chased it down without the hunter. I think Hargreaves finished it off. ???

posted Hide Post
Never believe a sheep hunter. Wink

It's the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 6 | Location: b.c. | Registered: December 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Steve, I have that story in a book called "Twenty Great Trophy Hunts" by John O. Cartier if you want to borrow it. You should have asked me yesterday when I saw you.

Posts: 3 | Location: Michigan | Registered: February 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys...Golata wasw the name I was looking for.

Jack; I would love to read the whole book if you trust me Big Grin

Posts: 37 | Location: Swartz Creek, Mi U.S. | Registered: December 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The original story ran in the February 1937 Outdoor Life. It is an interesting read if you can chase it down. Another note is a man named Schillingburg went in the same area a year later and wrote a story in the June of 1938 Sports Afield. He collected a great 46" ram. Then in 1947 went in the same area again and collected a ram that was 43 7/8". That story is in the August 1948 Outdoor Life and it is also a good read, he eludes to the ease at which you could reach the hunting area in only a few days.

Posts: 1 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to the book I have the story I am talking about appeared in the February 1980 issue of Outdoor Life. It would be interesting to read the earlier article as well to see if there are in changes in the story.

Posts: 3 | Location: Michigan | Registered: February 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post