Grand Slam Club/Ovis    Interactive Home    Community Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep    Hunting in Alberta with Edit Nagy and Pat Dueling?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in Alberta with Edit Nagy and Pat Dueling?
 Login/Join

posted
I was wondering if anyone had any info or was going to be hunting with Edith and Pat this year. I'm booked to hunt with them next year and was hoping I could get some more info about the area and what to expect. I noticed on their website that they didn't have any photos form the 2008 season. I'm hoping their area hasn't had problem with the numbers of sheep. Thanks.

http://www.hunt-rockies.com/

Posts: 6 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DocGlenn,

If memory serves correctly, they went 50% last year (2008 season). The president of Eastern Chapter FNAWS was booked for the September hunt, but had to cancel and his replacement was successful within hours of getting to camp. Another friend of mine, also from the East coast, was unfortunately not successful - he was on the October hunt.

Their long term average is 50% although they did have a nice run of 100% for a few years consecutively up until a couple of seasons ago.

They only get two permits a year for their area.

Posts: 1168 | Location: Colorado | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info! I'll be in touch to get some more details soon. Thanks again.

Posts: 6 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DocGlen This area is south of the Clearwater River and borders a National Park. As a nonresident you can not hunt the first week of the season and there will be resident pressure the first week of the season and most of the rams that are out of the park in the hunting area will be killed in the first week by residents.The positive about the zone is that there is usually some movement of sheep from the adjacent National Park into your hunting area.Do not expect a lot of chances in a 20 day hunt.Sheep numbers have remained about the same and resident pressure after 1st week not a factor.This is not a monster ram area but rams over 180 have been taken.Access is restricted remote. I like the area on the north side better

Posts: 8 | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Brutus. Kind of a bummer about the rams getting hit hard the first week, but there isn't anything to do about that. Good to hear that the area is still holding good numbers of rams. I guess it will be a matter of hoping a legal ram crosses the area at the right time. Thanks again!