Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

preference points?
 Login/Join

posted
Are there any states, besides WY, where you can buy points without actually applying for a permit? Thanks.

Posts: 7 | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since this is posted in the "Rocky" section, I'm assuming that's all you're interested in. Correct me if I'm wrong.

States where you can get a bonus or preference point for a Rocky, but be assured of not getting a permit, include Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, Utah, Washington and Wyoming (as you point out). I don’t know where you reside, so other options might be available to you – like South Dakota or Nebraska if you live there.

Note that other costs are associated with the purchase of points in the states mentioned above, other than Wyoming. All require the purchase of a license along with the bonus / preference point / application fees except Washington. In Washington you buy an application. In Colorado you’ll also have to submit the license fee and have it refunded each year.

Posts: 1168 | Location: Colorado | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ramdreamer, thanks for the response. I guess I should have said all sheep but I posted in the Rocky section because I have 8 WY sheep preference points. I am going to start applying in other states and was wondering about the extremely long shot of drawing more than one tag in a season. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
in Kalifornia you can buy points only.

Posts: 57 | Location: California | Registered: December 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
465dbk -

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. That makes the list longer and more complex. I'll describe a little here, but do yourself a huge favor... Go join Grand Slam Club / Ovis at: http://www.wildsheep.org/join/index.htm

An in-depth article on this subject matter is printed in each Winter issue of Grand Slam magazine. The past few years I have written it.

Now, back to the question at hand... Additional states, or additional factors in previously mentioned states -

Arizona: Must buy license, pay bonus point fee. Bonus points on sheep applicable to either Desert (they have both “nelsoni” & “mexicana”) or Rocky.

California: As John alluded to, you can just apply for a point. Must buy license, pay application fee. Desert only (“nelsoni” subspecies).

Colorado: If a Colorado resident, must decide on Desert (they have “nelsoni”) or Rocky. Rocky Mountain Bighorn sheep have a preference and weighted bonus point program. Desert is pure lottery and is only for residents. Must buy a license, pay the application fee and pay for the tag up-front (which is then refunded to you after the draw). For a Rocky in Colorado you must apply with no chance of being drawn for three years. At that point, after the 3rd year – in your fourth year in the draw, you will actually have a chance to either draw or enter the draw on a “point only” basis.

Nevada: Must buy license, pay bonus point fee(s). Can accrue points for Desert (“nelsoni”), California and Rocky separately.

Utah: Must buy a license starting in ’08, pay fee. Must decide which specie to accrue points for, Desert (they have “nelsoni”) or Rocky. You can only accrue a point for one once-in-a-lifetime specie in Utah. You can change from year to year, but then you don’t get anywhere, it’s kind of a catch 22. So it’s sheep of one sort or the other, moose, goat or bison.

Forgive me if I forgot something, this is off the top of my head.

Posts: 1168 | Location: Colorado | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info and I just joined. Now its just a matter of trying to decide what to apply for!!