Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WY recommendations
 Login/Join

posted
I am curious who some of you might recommend for a WY sheep guide. I would also like to hear what you think on the best sheep unit in WY. I have noticed that some outfitters can hunt a couple different units so I would assume its best to let them tell you which unit?

Posts: 7 | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think what a hunter feels is the "best sheep unit in WY" is a matter of personal choice. Some folks like to see lots of sheep, others don't mind seeing few but want those few to be nice rams.

You're right about the outfitter telling you where to apply. If you pick an outfitter that you want to specifically hunt with, you'll want to take their direction on where to apply each year.

Depending on where (which unit) you might desire to hunt, there are some fine outfitters in Wyoming. Some I personnally know, that you might want to talk, to are Cole Benton, Fritz Meyer and Mike Wakkuri.

Posts: 1168 | Location: Colorado | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last year I took a chance on an area that has fewer sheep, but with the possibility of killing a large ram (8,23). Hunted with Muleshoe Outfitters, got lucky, and killed a dandy of a ram on opening day (my slam ram). This was the only sheep I saw on the hunt. My outfitter scouted for four days prior to my arrival without seeing any sheep.

If you have max points, I'd look into areas 4 and 5 as they are killing some solid rams. A person will also see a lot of sheep on that hunt. Best of luck to you!

Posts: 48 | Location: nevada, usa | Registered: December 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I drew area 4 last year and hunted with Wapiti Ridge Outfitters. I did not see any sheep until day 4 of my 10 day hunt, and it was only a ewe and her lamb. I finally saw a ram on day 7 of my hunt, but it wasn't even a half curl and was in an inaccessible area. I finally saw another ram on the 9th day of my hunt, another 1/2 curl ram. I saw a little larger ram on the last day of my 10 day hunt and took that ram, but it was only between a half curl and 3/4 curl. I was happy that I didn't go home empty handed after spending lots of money, but I don't know where the big rams were because after 10 days, I never saw a ram even close to a 130 or 140 inch ram. I definitely DO NOT recommend Wapiti Ridge Outfitters, especially when they said I could expect 150-160 size ram!

Posts: 1 | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just completed a very successful hunt in Wyoming to finish my Grand Slam. I hunted with Cole Benton and Bob Sundeen. Both have their own outfits but work together on sheep hunts. I would DDEFINITELY recommend them. Cole's outfit is called Grizzly Outfitters out of Buffalo, WY

Posts: 29 | Location: Iowa | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IowaRamHunter,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I know what a long, hard road it's been for you to get a Rocky! You've paid your dues waaaaay over the top on getting this accomplishment.

Thanks for posting of your terrific success, it made my day! (I'm sure Cole and Bob are both ecstatic - and relieved.)

Posts: 1168 | Location: Colorado | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post