Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2011 Rocky Mountain Hunt
 Login/Join

posted
Looking to book a Rocky Mountain Bighorn hunt for 2011 to complete my 1st Slam. Possibly able to go in 2010, but 2011 more likely. Any information or suggestions would be appreciated.

Posts: 4 | Location: Nevada | Registered: December 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have a preference to where you want to go? Maybe tell us a bit about yourself too. Do you want to backpack or horseback or does it matter? I know a few of the Alberta guys, and would be willing to offer some suggestions.

Posts: 48 | Location: Alberta | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply, I would prefer a horseback hunt vs a strictly backpack hunt. Open to either BC or Alberta. Thanks again for
the help.

Posts: 4 | Location: Nevada | Registered: December 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a great hunt contact Peter Whitlow in Hinton ,Alberta. I have been on 3 sheep hunts with him. I missed a good one the first year but consider it one of the best hunts I have ever been on. I went back 2 years later and got a good ram on the 6th day. I hunted with him again this past season and got a good ram at the conclusion of what I now consider to be the best hunt I have ever been on! email me if you would like more details

Jim

Posts: 1 | Registered: January 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, although I don't know Peter personally I have heard good things about him. I would suggest talking to Glen Willsie, Skip Selk, or Scott Odgers. If you email me at burtzz@telus.net I can get you some more details and contact info.

Posts: 48 | Location: Alberta | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both Peter and Glen would provide a excellent hunt and I am sure either would give maximum effort towards getting you a ram.However do not expect any Alberta sheep hunt to be a cake walk and no Alberta Outfitter runs 100% every year on sheep.Be in shape and be prepared to do either backpack or horseback.Both Peter and Glen use horses but be prepared to hike if necessary.If I was booking a hunt I would make arrangments for extra TIME as it may take more than a couple weeks to get an chance at a ram.Peters area is further north than Glens and the rams further north tend to be a bit smaller.As a nonresident I would take a ram in the 165 class on the first day of the hunt if the opportunity presented itself unless I already had a larger one. Good Hunting

Posts: 8 | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the information so far. I am not opposed to hiking and I keep myself in "sheep shape" all year round. Having been sheep hunting in the Yukon the last two years I feel pretty "prepared" for what it takes to make a hunt successful. I plan on discussing opportunites with the Outfiters at the upcoming conventions. Hopefully I can get something booked in the next month or so. Again I appreciate all the comments and advice.

posted Hide Post
I'd also talk to Lorne Hindbo. An really nice guy in a good area. I think he has pretty good success also. He'll be at Grand Slam. Good luck. Alberta is a beautiful place to hunt with a lot of great people. Some real characters.

Posts: 17 | Location: Colorado | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After talking with some of the outfitters at SCI, I am thinking of switching gears and maybe tying for a California Bighorn. Had a good visit with Ashnola Guide Outfitters. Any suggestions?

posted Hide Post
I know of Kipp Kelley, from George Kelley Outfitting, based in Hinton, Alberta, him and his father have had the best sucsess rate in Alberta for over 20+ years, over 90%. This is a horseback hunt North of Jasper National Park. Seen that GSCO have bought 3 hunts of him now, obviously shows that GSCO believe he is the best bighorn outfit around. I would get in contact with Kipp for a true experience and a great chance of getting a bighorn 1st time.

Posts: 1 | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post