Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crazy Mountains
 Login/Join

posted
Any one here ever hunt the Crazies in Montana for goats? I have a tag for this fall but I live a long way away and can't personally scout until I get there to hunt. I plan a 10 day solo back pack hunt, which I understand is a generous amount of time compared to the usual number of days to harvest an animal but I want time to look around for a 9" or better. Any tips from you guys?

Posts: 11 | Registered: June 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My buddy drew this tag last year and killed a 9" goat the first day hunting. Goats everywhere. He said to hike to the head of a drainage called Big Timber and go over the top into the next drainage. That's where all of the goats were. He said there is a camp ground at the bottom of the Big Timber drainage and it's 4-5 miles from there. Public access. He found a guy that set him up a camp and took him in with horses.

Posts: 1 | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was wondering about hiring pack horses to haul stuff out, especially if I fill a bear tag. I was going to come in the other side, set up camp in Cottonwood lake and work down the Rock creek drainage. I guess the trick is not so much finding goats as finding goats you can get to after you shoot one. Thanks for the tip, I'd like to talk to your buddy for more info about the horses. My email is mtm1259@yahoo.com. Ask him if he would write and tell me how he found his wranglers.

posted Hide Post
Back from the Crazys. I killed a goat on day 6. Slept on the mountain when I got caught out at sunset. Two days of packing out the meat (21 miles in one day carrying out >200 lbs of meat, gear, hide and horns). Great place to goat hunt, I highly recommend applying for a tag in GMU 313. Wish I knew how to attach a picture.

posted Hide Post
Hey Ironmike, in order to add a photo album to the site:

Go to the MAIN message board site where you can see all the different forums (eg. dall sheep, stone's sheep, rocky mountain bighorn sheep, etc.)

Select the "New" menu on the top left, then from the drop down menu select "Photo Album", then "Goats & Capra", then just follow the directions to add pictures etc.

For what ever reason thought the only way the photo album option shows up is when you are at the main forum menu page.

Can hardly wait to see those pics - the hunt sounds like what dreams are made of!

Posts: 48 | Location: Alberta | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post