Grand Slam Club/Ovis    Interactive Home    Community Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  Goats & Capra    Albino "Mountain Goat" Spotted in Italy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Albino "Mountain Goat" Spotted in Italy
 Login/Join

posted
It appears to be an Alpine Ibex to me. But hey, what do I know? I'm sure the media folks researched it very well...

Regione Autonoma Valle d'Aosta / AP
Rangers took photos of the albino capra ibex climbing with its mother Sunday high in the Alps in northern Italy.

From: http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/albino-mountain...id=NWS00010000000001

Albino Mountain Goat Spotted in Italy
Posted: 2007-06-25 17:15:00

MILAN, Italy (June 25) - Forest rangers in the northern Italian Alps have confirmed for the first time the existence of an albino mountain goat - and named him "Snowflake."

Forest rangers in the Italian Alps confirmed for the first time the existence of an albino mountain goat - and named him "Snowflake."

Rangers took photos of the albino capra ibex climbing with its mother Sunday at about 10,000 feet above the Les Laures valley in the northwestern Val d'Aosta region, said Christian Chioso, a regional wildlife official.

Hikers had been reporting seeing a white animal at higher elevations for months, and forest rangers had been keeping a lookout. Source: AP

This is the only one ever documented, the only one ever seen," Chioso said by telephone on Monday. He said albinism is rare in any species and has not been previously documented among the capra ibex, a type of wild mountain goat with large curved horns that lives in mountainous areas.

Chioso estimated the albino animal is about a year old.

Hikers had been reporting seeing a white animal at higher elevations for months, and forest rangers have been keeping a lookout, Chioso said.

The goat was seen near the boundaries of the Big Paradise National Park, which was established to protect the species. Chiaso said about 4,000 wild mountain goats populate the park.

Posts: 1168 | Location: Colorado | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great picture.This is a very rare occurance indeed.Even as a hunter I hope this one grows old.Nothing as rare as the only one should ever be hunted as a trophy.Some things need to be left alone.

Posts: 25 | Registered: January 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post