Grand Slam Club/Ovis    Interactive Home    Community Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  Goats & Capra    Mongolian ibex trip
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mongolian ibex trip
 Login/Join

posted
I see that most offers for these trips are priced depending on the number of hunters going. Are most trips guided 1 on 1? If so does it make sense to try and hook up with a group to travel with and save a few bucks to boot, maybe put it toward a gazelle?

Posts: 1 | Location: NY | Registered: November 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Kevin,
I just returned from a 1x1 trip last month. It was a good hunt overall, but with lots of travel in remote country involved. In general, I think that the 1x1 or 2x1 thing is misleading. There will be quite a few people with you no matter what. For instance, I hunted a high and cold mountain one day. SEVEN Mongolians came with me on that morning. We took two jeeps to the top in case one jeep broke down. When we got out to hunt, three Mongolians hunted with me. At no time during my hunt was I ever with less than three Mongolians, all with binoculars trying to spot an ibex. I can't say that will always be the case, but it was for me.

All that being said, I think it makes a LOT OF SENSE to go with a friend or two. I shared camp with two great guys. That really made the trip for me. I would have been so bored otherwise. There is lots of travel involved and going with friend will make the travel much easier. Going with a friend will save you money, make the trip more enjoyable, and you will have better pictures. (I used to hunt by myself a lot, and hated not having anyone to take a good snapshot now and then).

I did see quite a few gazelles, by the way.

---------------------------
"Take what the gods offer today and leave your heart's desire until tomorrow."
-- Elgin T. Gates, Trophy Hunter in Asia

Posts: 36 | Location: Alabama, USA | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Break down the costs for us please.

You ready to go again??? I feel like taking some of this house fund and killing something. LOL

Posts: 95 | Location: Clarkston, WA | Registered: November 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too am very interested in a trip to mongolia. I suggest that all those interested in going for Mongolian ibex should gather in front of the Juulchin booth in Biloxi at 11 AM Friday ... wear a red rose or carnation or whatever red flower you can find that time of year or a drool bib if you can't find a red flower.

Posts: 100 | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here were my costs:

Airfare: $1500
Hunt: $4,250
Tips: $550
Overweight baggage: $150
Misc.: $300
Taxidermy: $?

My trip went smooth cost-wise and I didn't have any surprises. An unexpected flight delay could easily add $200/day. I figure that a hunter needs to budget in $8,000 for the trip. That should cover everthing, including taxidermy.

Is is worth it? That is so hard to say. For someone who has a Grand Slam and is looking for something different, yes it is. For someone that really has to scrape and save and sacrifice, hmmm, that is a different story. It is crazy, but $8000 all inclusive is such a baragin as far as hunting goes now days. What else can you do? Heck, a Texas Aoudad would cost about $4,000 by the time everything is paid for. A Mongolian ibex hunt offers a lot of adventure for its price point.

---------------------------
"Take what the gods offer today and leave your heart's desire until tomorrow."
-- Elgin T. Gates, Trophy Hunter in Asia

Posts: 36 | Location: Alabama, USA | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was expecting something along the lines of:

Airfare: $1500
Hunt: $4250
Tips: $550
Overweight Baggage: $150
50 hour jeep ride to camp: Priceless

Posts: 95 | Location: Clarkston, WA | Registered: November 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first two times I hunted ibex in Mongolia I
hunted with another hunter. One was a friend of my friend, and the other was a 15 minute introduction and the hunt was booked. Going with someone else you now have someone to talk to and in some causes you become friends for life. I also hunt this last time in Sept.2009
for Gobi ibex one on one. Was very interesting for the only one I could talk to was my interpreter. Did shot my ibex the first day.
I've hunted six species of ibex because I can't
afford an international sheep hunt. I can shoot
three or four species of ibex for a Stone sheep hunt. Ibex hunting is a more physical hunt than a sheep hunt and I want to challenge mybody physcially and mentally. The best rewards in a hunt are those that tax you physcially.
If you go one on one the price will usually be alittle bit higher than having two hunters in camp.

Ibexman

Posts: 5 | Registered: December 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post