Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OH BOY HERE WE GO!
 Login/Join

posted
I hit the lottery and have drawn a Nevada Desert Bighorn Sheep tag! It took me a few days for the shock to wear off but now the excitement is running at full tilt! It really doesnt matter to me the area is'nt known for its trophy potental as I will be hunting for my GRAND SLAM RAM! I feel very fortunate to have drawn this desert permit. I always love a new adventure and I'm sure this will be one of the high lights of my hunting carrier!
Wish me luck,
Bryan

Posts: 34 | Location: onalaska, washington | Registered: December 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CONGRATULATIONS!

That's terrific news Bryan. Nevada has been kind this year, you're the third friend I've heard of drawing there. And the people drawing are widely scattered: California, Wisconsin and now Washington.

Please keep us all informed of how this all goes!

Posts: 1168 | Location: Colorado | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What units did they draw Brenton? I drew 044,182 and there is two non-res tags available.
Bryan

Posts: 34 | Location: onalaska, washington | Registered: December 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Bryan,

One was 287 and one was 263.

Posts: 1168 | Location: Colorado | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice units to draw!

posted Hide Post
Great piece of luck, I am sure you earned it through persistance and thoughtful selection of units. How many years have you applied? Did you use an application service? How did you decide which unit to apply for?
Mike Miller

Posts: 11 | Registered: June 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I had 11 points going into this year so it was my 12th year with Nevada. I've been going at it my own and have drawn a few tags in the last 10-15 years but I concentrate on sheep draws.
In choosing a unit I wanted one with a chance at a respectible scoring ram (155-160ish) with the best draw odds I could get. Nevada posts last years application numbers along with the number of bonus points each app has. From this I figured my odds for each unit. I do have experience in other sheep units in NV and I had one of these as my first choice (about 1-40 odds) but I drew my second choice (1-20 odds). There was one unit that with my bonus points I was at 1-10 odds, thats if the same number of people applied for the same units. I THINK. It's a way to see your odds on each unit and helps if you want A tag. Believe me you wont get good odds on the known trophy units no matter how many bonus points you have.
The biggest ram out of my unit since 1992 is 162 5/8. There were 14 people who applied with 10 or more points with no max point holders. Unit 263 had a ram scoring 183 2/8 (161 2/8 average!) but had 488 apps with 10 or more points with 53 in the top point pool(18). You can see how different odds change from unit to unit.
Bryan
Bryan