Grand Slam Club/Ovis    Interactive Home    Community Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  Desert Bighorn Sheep    2009 Texas Draw & Raffle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2009 Texas Draw & Raffle
 Login/Join

posted
The information about this year's Texas desert bighorn hunt drawing is contained in the Special Drawing and Regular Permit Hunting Opportunities on Texas Parks and Wildlife Department Hunting Areas 2009-2010 (in hardcopy the cover says "Applications for Drawings on Public Hunting Lands") publication put out by Texas Parks & Wildlife.

You can download, view and/or print it at: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/hu...blic_hunting_system/

See the middle of page 28 for information on the Desert Bighorn tag / hunt.

Overall information on these Texas Special Drawing Permits for Hunting Opportunities on Texas Parks & Wildlife Department Hunting Areas is at: [http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/hu...blic_hunting_system/

Applications are due no later than November 4th, 2009. The draw is open to residents and non-residents alike. Last year their were 2,092 applicants for 2 permits.

One Desert Bighorn tag and hunt is also available via being a part of the winner's package in one of the "Big Time Texas Hunts" prizes. See info at http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/hu...lic/btth/rules.phtml Deadline to enter is October 15th, 2009.

Posts: 1168 | Location: Colorado | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RamDreamer -

I see that you've again posted the link to the Texas Special Drawing Permits site for the Texas public desert bighorn sheep hunt. That's great. I often use the links you post to guide fellow GSCO members to sheep hunting opportunities. Thank you.

And you have again noted that the Texas desert bighorn draw is open to residents and non-residents alike. That's great too.

I would just hope that you and our other GSCO friends from Colorado who apply for the Texas bighorn permit, taking advantage of the openness to non-residents, would commit to working to remove the resident-only restriction on Colorado's desert bighorn hunting program.

IMO, any GSCO member who chooses to take advantage of a non-resident opportunity to hunt scarce desert bighorn sheep in another state should seek to provide a reciprocal opportunity to out-of-state hunters in their home state. And I know that Colorado provides some non-resident bighorn sheep hunting opportunties. I took a Colorado ram in the early 1990's, and have always been greatly appreciative of the opportunity. But the fact is that Colorado prohibits non-residents from applying for its desert bighorn hunts, and for many of its Rocky Mountain bighorn hunts in the areas with the greatest trophy potential.

I support Texas' decision to provide non-residents with an equal opportunity to hunt desert bighorn sheep in Texas, even though all of the hunts are on Texas state lands, and not on Federal public lands. I just believe that GSCO members from other states with public bighorn hunts should work to ensure that same level of openness to non-residents, rather than accepting the barriers-to-entry often put in place to limit opportunities to a few.

P.S. I know that this is a contentious issue that will likely not be resolved in my lifetime, but feel the need to provide the above perspective whenever there is an emphasis placed on the opportunity for non-residents to apply for the Texas bighorn draw.

Posts: 5 | Registered: June 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Horned Toad,

I honestly had figured that I would incur your wrath by making the posting. It actually was in my thoughts as I did the work. At the end of the day I decided that since I try to post ALL drawing and raffle opportunities, without respect to who I might upset as individuals, that the greater good was served by ensuring that I posted it.

Your concerns have been noted before. I have previously, and continue to, decide to not to engage topics such as this on the internet. The issue you hold most dear has been addressed previously with the Colorado Division of Wildlife.

I guess that I will just have to let my body of wild sheep related conservation work stand on it's own merit. Your efforts, research, knowledge and accomplishments related to wild sheep have always been something that I have respected and held in high regard.

I sincerely hope that the Texas Bighorn Society "Round Up" was an overwhelming success.

Posts: 1168 | Location: Colorado | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Ramdreamer -

Certainly no wrath on my part. And I'm not criticizing you. As stated in my earlier post, I admire and appreciate all that you do for the sheep hunting and conservation world.

I just wish that more of our GSCO members from Colorado and other states would work to increase sheep hunting opportunities for all. Sadly, the opposite is often the case. Not accusing you of this, of course, but it does seem that many are more committed to building walls rather than building bridges, so long as it will increase their odds of drawing a permit by one-ten thousandth of a percent.

Finally, I thought it might be interesting to liven up the GSCO message board a bit. It has always surprised me how little dialogue makes its way onto this site. Guys post things... and then nothing, nada, no response. A bit of dialogue might improve interest in the message board.

Posts: 5 | Registered: June 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post