Grand Slam Club/Ovis    Interactive Home    Community Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  Desert Bighorn Sheep    clubs responsibility for endorsed outfitters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

clubs responsibility for endorsed outfitters
 Login/Join

posted
should the clubs take an active role in cases where their endorsed outfitters have commited breaches in contracts especially with outfitters out of the country?

Posts: 1 | Location: midwest | Registered: July 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe they should. In fact I believe that is one of the most important roles a club has to offer. A professional organization should be self governing. By this I mean continually updating members on pertinent information , weeding the bad apples out , upholding our guidelines, ect. When they knowingly subject members to outfitters who have breached contract , or worse endorse them, they have failed their obligations to the club and have turned to self interest only. Simple promoters and advertisers. Clubs and organization are the members, for the members they cannot existed without the members ,these groups are not self sustaining. It is arrogance on board members when they forget this fact .Clubs should take every action within their collective power to protect their members. This is especially true for endorsed outfitters , remember you are judged by the friends you keep. If you can't trust your club or organization for honest endorsements, what good is it

Posts: 5 | Registered: June 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What you state is a wonderful theory but it doesn't work too well in real life. With the posible exception of Safari Club (it is so big), organizations are generally reluctant to have to deal with the possible loss of a supporting (i.e. donating) outfitter, booking agent, etc. Ergo it is rare to find an organization that encourages and/or helps a hunter who has been shorted by an outfitter, booking agent or whomever. I've been there more than once including a situation where the organization flat out refused to take action against an outfitter convicted of multiple criminal offenses in the conduct of his hunting business.
One hunt organization shrugged off a serious problem from 2009 while the other invited the complaint but suggested it might not be easy to get a resolution I'd be satisfied with. I'd say your chances are best if the organization has an established process for filing and deciding complaints. But also remember to talk things over with the other similarly interested hunters. Remember that one unhappy customer can discourage a hundred potential customers while one happy customer rarely influences more than a couple of future customers.

Posts: 100 | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good point , but I think the topic was one where the organization endorsed the outfitter, that's completely different than a random encounter with a guide and expecting your organization to pursue. That's what attorneys are for. I believe the integrity of any organization is in serious question if an endorsed outfitter is taking advantage of a clubs membership especially with the clubs blessings {endorsement} or worse with the club profiteering from it. Clubs may find it difficult to fill their halls and donation brochures, but in the end if they are filled with charlatans what kind of club is this? And you are right SCI has a strict rule with their outfitters especially the ones endorsed or permitted to donate. I believe DSC does also I am thankful our motto reads "together we triumph" instead of "we succeed and you should have read the disclaimer"

posted Hide Post
rk

Your point re 'endorsed' outfitter is noted; I hope it never becomes a limitation. The outfit I had problems with 2 years ago is a sponsor for one organization ... the same that refused to take action against a North American outfitter convicted of multiple criminal offenses. My hope is that the North American hunt organizations will adopt and enforce policies to not tolerate foreign businesses coming to the U. S. and then ripping off the members. Participating should be a privilege, not something that can be bought. I feel that organizations should be especially vigilant on behalf of their members when it comes to foreign businesses. When hunting in many foreign countries, the member's life is literally and actually in the hands of the foreign hunting business.

Posts: 100 | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
right on the money ,100% agree