Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

With or without?
 Login/Join

posted
Dear hunters, todays question is quite simple. I have booked a hunt in Tajikistan at the Karakol lake camp. I am VERY concerned about AMS, HACE and HAPE. Am I overreacting? Do I need to take acetazolamide (diamox) or is it enough to acclimatize with the long drive into base camp and a rest day or two at that altitude? I have never been higher than 8,ooo feet. My age at the time of hunt will be 47. I am thinking about taking diamox and using it if symptoms of AMS occur. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, D.P.

Posts: 13 | Registered: March 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote for "with". After watching two hunting partners not deal with altitude so well in China. We got one down after he was successful the first day. The other, half of your age, we put on diamox and threw in a gamow bag for a while. No problems after that, staying on the diamox. A doctor and I were on diamox the entire time and all went well.

There is some good reading on this subject here on this website. It's called: "High Altitude Hunting - An extensive collection of reports and opinions on how to beat the physiological effects of thin air." See this, and other articles, at http://www.wildsheep.org/magazines/articles.htm or download the 13 pages of information directly at http://www.wildsheep.org/pdf/high_altitude.pdf

Posts: 1168 | Location: Colorado | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take the diamox unless you like the feeling of a hangover. I was in Tajikistan 10 years ago and was sick (hangover feeling ) for five days. Got my Marco Polo and left early. Passed on the Ibex. My interpreter did not get out of bed for the same five days. I will be taking diamox when I head to Kyrgystan in October.

Posts: 8 | Registered: June 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
take it, you will have no regrets.

Posts: 12 | Registered: September 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for your input. RamDreamer, your advice was perfect and the info and knowledge from those articles has made me feel easier and more confident. I know I will have a great hunt in November of 2011. If succesful, my ram will adorn this wonderful forum for all to see. D.P.

Posts: 13 | Registered: March 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my opinion the best option is taking advice from the doctor instead of asking here and there.

Posts: 1 | Location: 5 Medlock Bridge Rd, Duluth,GA | Registered: July 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ka3achmah, I want to buy my son a hunt for 2012 and was wondering who you booked with and why. Please email me at petmanjack@mac.com Hope you have the hunt of your dreams. Jack

Posts: 8 | Registered: August 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post