Grand Slam Club/Ovis    Interactive Home    Community Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  Dall Sheep    14C Chugach and Snow fall
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

14C Chugach and Snow fall
 Login/Join

posted
Last I read Anchorage has received about 7-8 feet of snow so far this year. Does anyone have any current information on how all this snow might be affecting the Dall sheep in the Chugach?

Posts: 100 | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have had a lot of snow, but quickly behind it we had high winds. The high winds have kept some ridges exposed. As long as predation doesn't become a huge factor, I think our sheep will come out okay this year. Well, at least so far. No telling what the rest of the winter might still hold for us (and the sheep).

I think the sheep are fairing better than the deer in the Sound, SE and Kodiak. As I look at the Chugach range right now (the sun is just rising over the top), there are plenty of exposed ridges and rivines. I'm not a biologist, however. It might be a good idea to contact ADF&G's Anchorage office AFTER breakup to get a better idea. We are still a long way from the end of punishing snows.

Posts: 21 | Location: Alaska | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post