Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mervyns Yukon
 Login/Join

posted
Hello all. I am new to the board. I am looking for a dall hunt in 2011 and after talking to many outfitters at the shows I am considering Mervyns. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Posts: 12 | Registered: March 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rich,
In my opinion tim has the best area in the yukon, you can't go wrong with him. Ive been with him twice and everything went great.
Great guides(ask for Tell), great area, family operated, and the most important thing great rams

Posts: 7 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have hunted Tim's area 3 times over the years. Twice with Rod Hardie who owned the area before Tim and Jen and once with Tim. Great area, great camps, lots of sheep, really good guides every time I went. It's a great place to kill a good Dall and you can get a real good one if you are lucky. The genetics are there for sure. Have fun.

Posts: 17 | Location: Colorado | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I have decided to book my dall hunt with Mervyns. After speaking with the different outfitters at SCI and FNAWS, I really liked what Tim had to say and offer. I can't wait. I am doing a stone this year with Stone Mountain that I purchased last year at the GSCO auction. Hopefully on my way to a grand slam.

posted Hide Post
Hope Im not to late. Went there last year. Very bad year for sheep hunting. Massive die out of lambs eight years earlier meant no legal rams sighted in twelve hard days hunted. Tim was not the most ethical outfitter I met. He told half truths, anything to get the customer. Remember, economical crisis! I was not the only one not to get a sheep that year. Get all info in writing before you pay! In my twelve days I saw four different camps!! It is a great area, just too many hunters are shooting and it is catching up with the outfitter. Heed my words, I have been on many hunts and have seen everything, this outfitter should be ashamed of the lies he told. Finally, bring your own food, worst kitchen ever for cabin style hunts!

Posts: 13 | Registered: March 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have sent in my deposit. What should I be aware of? What where the half truths? Which hunt did you go on? What kind of lies did he tell? I hope I made the right decision.

posted Hide Post
My apologies for being late in adding my observations. I have hunted sheep with only one outfit in the Yukon. If anyone can find any 'discouraging words' being said about the Reynolds', it would blow my mind. I find it difficult to believe that there could be a better area to hunt and outfit to go with for Dall and Fannin sheep in the Yukon.

Carl D. Phillips
Portland, Oregon
OREGONCARL@AOL.COM

Posts: 100 | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rich, I went on Aug 19-30th 2009. When booking I asked how he ran his camps. He told me that he rotates camps every other year. A lie, as I stood atop Mt. Creedon, my "guide" told me three weeks ago my client shot his sheep here!I went for a Dall, with a Griz option. Depending on where you go, you will see bears, just remember, big bears are in the valleys, where sheep are, well those are little. Anyway, I saw lots of sheep, dont get me wrong. I just never saw a "legal" ram. Lots of five year olds.Have Tim put in writing where you are going, when the last hunter was at your camp, plus in that area. As I said, I was in four separate camps. All had hunters before me, and oh Lord a father and son team came in when I was leaving!! Ask him to define legal ram by Yukon law, not his company policy of 8 years plus. I was not allowed to shoot a "legal" 6 year old better than full curl sheep at 50 yards! I was nice and let it walk. That was a nineteen thousand dollar mistake. Half truth, the guide told me Tim would fine him two thousand dollars if I shot that sheep. The truth, if the outfitter in Yukon province takes 8 years and older sheep he receives unlimited permits. If the outfitter shoots younger sheep the province will give him a quota, hence less money!! Rich, I think it best if you call Tim and ask him these questions and more, have him write them down and either fax them to you or by mail. Never e-mail. Not a legal document. Ride horses a month before you go, to ease the pain. Lots of riding, very big country.The mountains are puppy hills and not a problem. I hope you didnt order up a combo hunt, the caribou where the sheep are are mediocre. Take lots of granola bars and that sort of stuff. His food is worse than my two hunts to Kazachstan combined!I hope you like "trophy moose" or last years "trophy bison." Take a fishing rod, you might be lucky and start off at a camp with fish, catch as many as you can, thats the best dinner you will have for sure. Too bad I was late getting back on the forum though, I would have sent you to the NWT. I cant say enough bad things about Tim, didnt even offer me a replacement hunt? Go figure, wait till you get to the airport, no pick up. Take the shuttle bus and wait for us to contact you. Then get your papers, shoot your gun and wait for flight, alone. All other outfitters there use the same hotel. They all have reps who went to the airport for their clients, sat with them for a beer or two, well you get the picture. Im starting to rave now. I hope this helps. Let me know I am very curious as to how it works out for you. Your sheep hunting buddy, D.P.

posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the input. D.P, I have asked Tim to respond to the issues you brought up. It is a tough decision, he has had a ton of good references and I really enjoyed speaking with him at the shows. It is the type of hunt I was looking for. I am scheduled on the first hunt a sheep hunt only with the possibility of a bear. This should work out well since I will not have to worry about other hunters before me. The sheep die off does concern me.

Terry, how long ago did you hunt with Mervyns?

fntb, how long ago did you hunt with Mervyns?

posted Hide Post
Rich, maybe I went overboard,just that these hunts are not cheap.I want you to have the best info you can get.If you are going on the first hunt,Aug 1 then that should be great. First chance. You should be ok. The winter was mild, even better. Good luck.

posted Hide Post
rich,
I went in 2007 and the first week os sept 2009, I saw 2 legal rams on the first day. Shot the best one a 10 year old 38 1/2".
I went to dry pass camp, the guide name is tell, the food was good. That's how it went with me.

posted Hide Post
Send me your email and I'll send some pics.

posted Hide Post
Hey fntb, any chance that you will post those pics on the forum for all of us to see?? Sounds like an excellent ram! Did you get a ram on your other trip there too?

Posts: 48 | Location: Alberta | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure, just tell me how

posted Hide Post
No problem, start at the main page of the forum, enter into one of the discussion categories such as "Stone Sheep", then click "New" in the top left corner and select "Photo Album" from the drop down menu and follow the four steps for uploading photos.

Note that if you have gone past the main discussion category and are inside one of the discussions, the "Photo Album" will not appear on the drop down.

On with the show! :-)

Posts: 48 | Location: Alberta | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fntb, looking forward to those pics. I spoke to Tim. I shared the concerns in the forum with him and he answered all of the questions correctly and offered me my deposit back if I would like.

I have decided to keep the dates and I am looking forward to the hunt. This year I have a stone sheep and mountain goat hunt planned with Stone Mountain and 2 ibex in spain with Giuseppe Carrizosa.