Grand Slam Club/Ovis    Interactive Home    Community Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  Dall Sheep    Brooks Range-Dall sheep Hunt Report
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brooks Range-Dall sheep Hunt Report
 Login/Join

posted
Dall ram taken 8/ 15/08

Posts: 11 | Location: Jackson,WY | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hunt Report- Dall Sheep
Mountain Range: Brooks Range, Alaska
Rifle: Nosler Custom M48 .270 WSM
Range of shot: 273 Yards
Ram specifics: 37.5"x 13.5" aged at 11 years old
Other animals taken: Son took a 6 foot-plus Griz
Dates Hunted: 8/10/08 to 8/17/08
Tranportation to and from: H-295 Helio Super courier.
Weather conditions: Highs-mid 50's to 60
Lows- 30-35 degrees
Great weather overall, only drawback was the fog which came in early evening and dissipated late morning.

Posts: 11 | Location: Jackson,WY | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2008 Brooks Range hunt consisted of blowing my knee out on the second day in (surgery one month later), but did end up with a couple of caribou. Passed on a small bull moose and a couple of gorgeous, but immature, grizzlies...

Great hunt, though. Enjoyed every second of it.

Congrats to you.

Posts: 21 | Location: Alaska | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great looking ram! You can tell by your smile you werent very happy him!
Who did you hunt with or where you self guided?
Bryan

Posts: 34 | Location: onalaska, washington | Registered: December 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
must have been guided as one is required for non res hunters, if he flew in in a Helio, had to be Brooks range avaiation out of Bettles Ak....Not a guide only an air service.

Posts: 2 | Location: no | Registered: January 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
must have been guided as one is required for non res hunters, if he flew in in a Helio, had to be Brooks range avaiation out of Bettles Ak....Not a guide only an air service. Jay is the only pilot allowed to fly his Helio.

Posts: 2 | Location: no | Registered: January 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
maverick, if you know anything about Alaska, then you know that helicopters are NOT used to transport hunters or their gear. Any guide or experienced hunter knows this. And if I knew anything about aircraft other than supecubs or beavers, I would know what a helio is! Disregard my comment and accept my apology please!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Huntinman,

Posts: 98 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: June 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Non-guided, I am a resident of Alaska! I flew with Frenchie (Circle Air) out of Central, Alaska.

posted Hide Post
Here's my 2009 dall ram...

posted Hide Post
Oh that is a hawg!!! Nice work...

Maybe tell us a little more about that Nosler Rifle too. How do you like it? I took a real close look at one of those before having a custom rifle built a couple years ago.

Posts: 48 | Location: Alberta | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post