Grand Slam Club/Ovis    Interactive Home    Community Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  Dall Sheep    Sheep Hunters Blues
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheep Hunters Blues
 Login/Join

posted
Fellow sheep hunters; this must be the sheep hunters blues. For most of us the last hunting season is over, the great conventions is over and it is months away from the next sheep hunt. I am doing what I can early to get future hunts organized and looking forward to the next issue of the Grand Slam Ovis magazine. This must be part of that sheep fever affliction, what does anyone else think?

Posts: 12 | Registered: December 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brian

Try Spring Light Goose Hunting in the Dakota's.

It's not Sheep Hunting but it takes the edge off.

Posts: 2 | Registered: August 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cured my “sheep hunters blues” by going sheep hunting. I hunt North American sheep year round. My sheep hunting season is never over and I am not months away from my next sheep hunt!

I don’t buy a hunting license and I don’t have to wait to see if my name was selected in a draw.

I hunt sheep anytime I feel like it.

The last bighorn ram I shot was in October 2006. I had to hike quite a few miles in rough mountainous terrain to get in on him. It took a week to find that band of rams and when the weather turned bad it got them on the move, so I was able to get in for a shot with my 300. I think I’ll go sheep hunting in November 2006 to see if I can find another big ram.

Like I said, I cured my “sheep hunters blues” by going sheep hunting.

I had “sheep hunters blues" for decades before I figured out that I could go on a trophy sheep hunt for any of the North American wild Sheep anytime of the year with a camera! My “300” is a Nikon 300 mm lens.

So if you don’t draw a sheep permit, my suggestion is to arrange a regular “hunting” trip with a guide and do the hunt with a camera instead of a rifle. Then you can hunt anytime of the year you want. It’s better than not hunting. It gets you in the mountains and a serious trophy hunt with a camera is the same experience.

Give some thought to going on a Bighorn, Dall or Stone sheep hunt with a camera. You get the same experience, except the “bang” is exchanged for a “click”. It’s better than sitting at home and missing another sheep hunting season.

In my case, I camera hunt Desert Bighorn Sheep in the Southwest. I can hunt Desert Bighorns all year because the weather is good. I enjoy going out on my own and locating a band of sheep and then stalking in with my camera to get a shot.

If you can’t hunt for big sheep with a rifle, then do it with a camera -- it's better than not going at all.

Bill Phifer
billphifer@aleyska.com
Las Vegas

Posts: 2 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe someone will be interested in my concept of camera hunting for Boone & Crockett class wild sheep.

Where could you go camera trophy hunting between now and hunting season 2007? What if you don’t get a 2007 permit? Wait until 2008?

Here’s 1.5 million acres of wilderness with plenty of wild Desert Bighorn Sheep:

http://www.fws.gov/desertcomplex/desertrange/index.htm

You could spend a week in there and probably not locate sheep on your first trip. However, the experience gained would pay off in the future -- sooner or later you’d get in on Desert Bighorn rams. Then you plan your stalk and try to get in close enough for a camera “shot”. You need a four-wheel drive vehicle to get into the DNWR. It’s very rough country.

Bill Phifer
billphifer@aleyska.com
Las Vegas

Posts: 2 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post