Grand Slam Club/Ovis    Interactive Home    Community Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  Dall Sheep    Brook Range Dall
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brook Range Dall
 Login/Join

posted
Did the recent conventions trigger an itch for one more sheep hunt? If you are looking for an Alaska Brooks Range Dall hunt in the Philip Smith Mts. for this summer, season opens Aug. 10, 2007 take a look at www.gatewayguiding.com and give Mike Vanning a call. Their website has a photo of a 45" ram. As of a week or so ago, they had an opening. Grizzly bear is an option as that season opens Aug. 10 in their area. Also of note is that Gateway Guiding has donated a brown bear hunt for the auction in Tunica.

Posts: 100 | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oregoncarl:
Have you hunted with this outfitter or know them personally? Also waht is the cost of this hunt.Quite impressive results.

Posts: 25 | Registered: January 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
General information. Can also e-mail me directly at OREGONCARL@AOL.COM. First hunt is 8/10-18/2007. Can go in 3 to 4 days early if you want. Season opens 8/10 for both Dall and grizzly. I have not hunted with Gateway. I was booked for this summer and was really looking forward to going North. But I came back from SLC and looked at the three beautiful white rams already on my walls (41 1/2 x 13, 37 x 14 and 40 1/4 x 13) and decided that at my age (66) I needed to 'look' in other green pastures. His price is $13,500. A bit high for Alaska but lower than about all Yukon and NWT outfitters. Another cost is additional air fare from Fairbanks to Chandalar. Uses 4 man or larger tents. He is going to try to open a new area this summer by sending some fellows in early to build an air strip. Said he saw three groups of rams in this new area and, if memory serves me correct, one group of 16 with 3 or 4 40" possible rams.
He is absolutely adamant that you bring hip boots as there is a lot of wading to be done. He'll also tell you that the Brooks Range grizzlies are not the biggest bears around.

posted Hide Post
Back in February I posted a note about a Dall sheep hunt beginning August 10, 2007 in the Brook Range. The outfitter's website is gatewayguiding.com. They have taken some big rams. When I recently communicated with him, he indicated that they still had an opening for the first of the season beginning August 10, 2007. If you have ever contacted him and been told that they do not have an opening beginning August 10, 2007, or you find that out now, I'd really like to learn of your efforts. I can be reached at OREGONCARL@AOL.COM. It could be worth at least $500 to you as he is still holding $4500 of mine.