Grand Slam Club/Ovis    Interactive Home    Community Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  GSCO Slam Quest Convention    Sheep Hunt Raffles (Drawing 2/12/06)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheep Hunt Raffles (Drawing 2/12/06)
 Login/Join

posted
Awareness of these raffles may seem obvious, but I am posting this here so that anyone that visits this Community Message Board, and possibly just bypasses the homepage (and is maybe not yet a member of GSCO), will be aware of the opportunity.

For those of you that like to get in on sheep hunt raffles, here are some more opportunities for you.

The Grand Slam Club / Ovis is doing some huge hunt raffles. Four separate hunt raffles so to speak:

Hunt #1: Choose between a Yukon Dall Sheep Hunt or a Snow Sheep Hunt in Russia.

Hunt #2: Choose between a Stone Sheep Hunt in British Columbia or a Rocky Mountain Bighorn Hunt in Alberta.

Hunt #3: Choose between a Desert Sheep Hunt in Mexico or an Altay Argali hunt in Mongolia or hunt for Two (2) Marco Polo Sheep in Tajikistan (Spa Camp).

Hunt #4: Desert Sheep Hunt on Carmen Island, in the Sea of Cortez, Mexico.

Look for the "Raffle-Rama" information on the right hand side of the Grand Slam Club / Ovis website home page: http://grandslamclub.com/

Posts: 1168 | Location: Colorado | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am curious to know your opinion: If I bought two tickets, where would you place your bets? I don't have a sheep to my name, though I'm looking at a possible dall sheep hunt this fall. Thx.

Posts: 5 | Registered: January 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Avoid hunt numbers 2 & 4. I plan on winning the Stone hunt and the Carmen Island hunt.

LOL...good luck.

Posts: 95 | Location: Clarkston, WA | Registered: November 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, that's an interesting question...

I was actually thinking about that myself. I suppose it's going to come down to an individual choice of what, if you get really lucky, you'd like to hunt the most.

I think the only one that is out for me is # 2 as I've got a Rocky and am booked for Stone already.

Word of caution! Ramslam is one lucky guy when it comes to raffles and the like (he bought ONE ticket for the New Mexico FNAWS raffle a few years back and WON a desert ram permit with which he finished his Grand Slam).

Good luck to everyone.

Posts: 1168 | Location: Colorado | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'll just give my money to Ramslam, and he can enter for me. LOL!

posted Hide Post
Sounds good to me...send all the money you want!

LOL

Good luck to you; I hope you draw.

Posts: 95 | Location: Clarkston, WA | Registered: November 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you really mean that, because it would require you to sit home for the season. Wink

Seriously, and a different tact here: in your opinion, what are better odds, raffles or applying to one or many states and paying through the nose. I hear Nevada has probably the best chances to offer, but...too much info out there. Hoping a pro can cut through the mess and give a "painless" answer. But that may be in the too hard to do category. As Bill O'Reilly would say, "What say you?"

posted Hide Post
Less than a week to go to obtain tickets in this raffle if you are not going to be attending the convention!

All ticket orders must be in the Grand Slam Club / Ovis office by Tuesday, January 31st!

posted Hide Post
I personally do a little of both. Odds for raffles are typically very, very low. I support raffles because I support the conservation efforts; I do not sit by the phone waiting for it to ring on draw day. It is easy to get in the game of "Well if I spend $100 my odds while be five times as opposed to only spending $20." Those conservation groups appreciate the $100 but the reality is the odds are still incredibly low. Another WAFNAWS board member won the WA raffle with only two tickets and Oregon the following year with around 6 tickets. Bottom line is it takes luck.

With buying a few tickets each for several raffles, I have selected 5-6 states that have the opportunity and quality I desire and that's where my money goes. I buy the bonus/preference point if I can and just cross my fingers.

posted Hide Post
Thx Ramslam. I did see a post awhile back from RamDreamer that an outlay of around $6K is required for all states; however, in your opinion, if you had to list a top three, which ones would you choose? I started applying to WYO last year, only to see them up the ante to $100 per bonus point, ouch!

Also, and RamDreamer, you may be able to help out too, my brother is being transferred to Shanghi, China later this year. Any leads/tips on getting in on some sheep/goat action there? Thx.

posted Hide Post
As a high school teacher with very limited vacation time in the fall, I am forced to consider the season dates when I select states where I apply.

Without a doubt Idaho has the best odds for a non-resident. Be careful though as some units are very, very difficult to hunt. You do have to front license and tag costs.

After that the odds are just terrible about everywhere else. I think you can apply in Oregon and WA for about $75 each up front; Utah is about $10 upfront; Nevada around $160; and NM hmmm...as I recall it isn't bad either. You will get points in WA, UT, NV.

I have never applied in WY or CO for the reason listed above. I don't know much about CO but I think with some dedication odds arent too bad??? Right RD?

Hope that helps.

posted Hide Post
Colorado odds aren't too bad, but not great for the non-resident. I packed a lot of preference points along with me when I moved here, so my situation brightened. What's really tough about the Colorado system is having to play the "send in the money, wait, and get the refund" gig for three years before you even have a shot at a tag the fourth go 'round.

I quit looking at the odds a few years ago. They are so bad it will do nothing but discourage a person. What I did do was start, build and keep a fund dedicated to the applications process. What prompted this on my part was the fact that I missed out on the first preference point issuance in Wyoming. I didn't apply in Wyoming the year they started the preference point system (without announcing so beforehand by the way). I was buying a house that year, so decided to hold off. Lesson learned. I'm now one off of maximum preference points in Wyoming for both bighorn and moose.

Regarding hunting in China. I know a few folks. Best ones to start with are (in my opinion and in no particular order):
- Can-Asia: http://www.canasiaexpeditions.com/
- The Hunting Consortium: http://www.huntcon.com/
- Shikar Safaris: http://www.shikarsafaris.com/

All of the above are also GSCO supporters. There are others, some I might do business with and others that I absolutely would not.

posted Hide Post
I also have a dedicated checking acount for the hunting draws at a credit union. It also has a line of credit on it, and it makes intrest when there is $ in it which is 9 months out of the year. That way I can spend more than I actulay have in the acount if I wanted to. $100 a month goes into the acount every month.

Posts: 57 | Location: California | Registered: December 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ramslam and RamDreamer, maga thanks. Don't know what the community would do without you guys. Cool

I got a note previously from Chuck Middleton, ID FNAWS, who backs up your comments, Ramslam. My argument was, "With no points system, the odds are almost zero of being drawn, and almost 100% that I'm $147.50 poorer, correct? Appears to be almost zero incentive to apply."

That being the case, wouldn't my chances be just as good paying $25 for a raffle ticket? Chuck went on to say that point systems do not work well.