Grand Slam Club/Ovis    Interactive Home    Community Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  Super Slam™    Trophy Elk Outfitter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trophy Elk Outfitter
 Login/Join

posted
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for some help for a friend. He is just turning the big 5-0, he is in great shape, and wants to go on his first outfitted hunt - for elk. He has asked me for some help to find an outfitter at a reasonable price, but I don't know the elk crowd like I know the sheep crowd.

He is from Alberta and has taken several elk before, but never a real wall hanger, so he is looking for someone that can guide him with a high success rate to a 350 or better bull. (Fair chase only.)

What do you think guys, does anyone have any good suggestions? If you would prefer to keep them private, you can email your thoughts to burtzz@telus.net.

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 48 | Location: Alberta | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would highly recommend Jack & John Diamond at Beaverhead Outfitters in NM. Great family in great elk country, located in the Gila National Forest. Phone # is 575-772-5795

Posts: 8 | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, thanks man, I will definitely look them up. Any other suggestions out there??? When I was at the conference last week there were a couple guys there from Montana Backcountry Outfitters that hunt on the south fork in the Bob Marshall. Anyone know anything about them?

Posts: 48 | Location: Alberta | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
also may want to try Mick Chapel at New Mexico Professional Big Game Hunting. www.nmtrophyhunts.com

Posts: 8 | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ford Creek Outfitters in MT is a horseback adventure into the Bob Marshall Wilderness area.
350 is a tall order anywhere maybe even look into a landowner permit as well.

Posts: 6 | Registered: March 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What price range are you looking at? Reasonable price and 350 don't genereally go together unless he can draw a premium tag somewhere.

Posts: 3 | Registered: January 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A budget... well...

My partner started with a budget of $7G, but as I had suspected, we have quickly found that is not realistic for what he is looking to do. It would appear that a person might be able to do $8 or $9 for a muzzle loader hunt in NM, where that 350 or better is a strong possibility. It would also appear that there might be some landowner vouchers out there where a person could use a rifle in that all in cost $10-13 range.

So, I don't know what we are going to do. All I know is that if we get into that high teens for price - I'm going dall sheep hunting instead! :-)

posted Hide Post
There are some CWMU's in Utah that might fit the 350 size, but they won't be too cheap. Look at www.bucksandbulls.com and http://www.dlandl.com/pages/hunting/index.html They average around 340 annually, but are expensive.

Outside of that I would stick with Montana or New Mexico for what you are looking for.

Posts: 3 | Registered: January 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tomahawk, i would also recommend H&H Hunting (Shayne Ford). they're a CWMU in utah that i've hunted with the last 5 years and am going again this year. i've also taken several different people with me and they are returning. they have a tremendous operation and huge numbers of elk. a 350 bull is a REAL expectation on their ranch. it's a family operation and a super group of folks. i've been real successful with them. let me know if you want info to contact them.

Posts: 7 | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tomahawk, sorry i hit the wrong key, their outfit is HCH not H&H

posted Hide Post
Gents,

Thanks again for all the good info. I have spoken with the guys from Bucks & Bulls, so it is great to get some independent feedback. (And yup... they ain't cheap!)

I had not however run across Shayne Ford. I googled him and found his number, so I will give him a call too!

posted Hide Post
Hey shphtr59,

Would you be willing to share how you have done with Shayne over the last 5 years? Have you taken or passed up some 350+ bulls?

Thanks!

posted Hide Post
tomahawk, email me at shphtr59@yahoo.com and i'll be happy to give you details, give me a phone # and i'll even call if you like.