Grand Slam Club/Ovis    Interactive Home    Community Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  Super Slam™    Pursuit of the Super Slam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pursuit of the Super Slam
 Login/Join

posted
I have officially decided to pursure the Super Slam this year. This year has been a great year for me so far, Big Horn Sheep, Woodland Caribou and Black Bear are new species I was fortunate enough to take. 2015 has a big trip booked for possibly 5 more species. To date I have about 1/3 of the slam including some of the more difficult species to hunt.

What I need help with is getting to the finish line. In particular I am looking to hunt a blacktail and sitka deer, so far both of those hunts have been add ons to combo hunts or super expensive a individual species. Does anyone have suggestions on getting these 2 species affordably? Is there hunter host options out there for either one of these species or suggestions for outfitters. For these two species I am not concerned with taking a monster just looking for nice representitive species. I also need a Roosevelt Elk so the blacktail might be an optional add on for that one but would prefer to hunt it exclusivly if possible.

Posts: 5 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are outfitters that offer "management" Columbia Blacktail hunts on the private lands they operate on. That might be a more "affordable" route on the Columbia Blacktail. My wife is doing just such a hunt next year with Arrow Five Outfitters in California.

On the Sitka Blacktail, I've seen reasonable boat operated hunts in SE Alaska. It might be a bit less costly to get to those hunts as well, vs. dealing with something where you have to fly all the way in to Kodiak, etc.

Posts: 1168 | Location: Colorado | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for the reply RamDreamer will look into the management hunt as well

Posts: 5 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Camp5outfitters in central California has blacktail and Tule elk. They have taken many gsco members.

Posts: 7 | Registered: July 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post