Grand Slam Club/Ovis    Interactive Home    Community Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  Super Slam™    Favorite backpack?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite backpack?
 Login/Join

posted
For you hunters who do self guided hunts and haul heavy loads, which pack is your favorite? I'm in the market for a new one and would like to hear your opinions... Thanks

Posts: 98 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: June 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't claim a ton of experience but in the past I've had a Badlands 4500, but last year switched to a Mystery Ranch pack and am very happy with it. Went with a MR Cerberus (on the NICE frame) which I personally found a titch small (5000 cu in) on an extended trip, but am otherwise very happy with the pack. The good thing with the NICE frame is there are other bags that are compatible with it so I wouldn't need to buy an entire full pack to upsize.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Duk Dog,

Posts: 7 | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started out with an Alaskan II backframe and after one mtn. hunt gave it away (bought from Cabela's). I've since been using a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab with an interchangeable 6500 cu inch for packing all my gear. There is no comparision...Mystery Ranch even supplies our military. They are expensive but you get what you pay for - seem to have thought of everything when designing this pack. Good luck.

Posts: 4 | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For years I used an external frame called the Freighter II with the Moose bag attached. I think you could carry a truck in that thing, but it was so rigid that it wasn't very good for climbing in steep and awkward places.

A few years ago I picked up an Eberlestock J104, which is an awesome pack, BUT it wouldn't be my first choice for an all out backpack hunt. I have used that pack on both horse hunts, and straight backpack hunts. The J104 is about as perfect as it gets for horse hunts, and I love that rifle scabbard down the centre when the pack has a light to medium load. When I carried out my stone sheep, the pack was probably 100 lbs over 25 miles and it did the job and it's built really well. But, all that being said, I think I will be getting an internal frame MR (probably the 7000 ci Kodiak) for my next backpack hunt.

Posts: 48 | Location: Alberta | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being an old Alaskan and still Alaskan at heart, I used the moose bags for years. Years ago, I tried an internal frame pack and did not like the flexibility of the frame for hauling moose quarters and such. Maybe they are better now. I used that Freighter w/moose bag on several sheep hunts and while it is stiff, it will certainly haul a load... has anyone tried the Blacks Creek Barbarian Featherlite? Looks like a nice pack, but much lighter than my old packs...

Posts: 98 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: June 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used the Outdoorsman's pack with carbon fiber frame on my August sheep hunt and it could handle more weight than I could. The frame is 2 lbs and overall weight is just over 7 lbs. Pretty light for a 4000 cubic inch bag. Also has a built in rifle carrying system.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bhollis,

Posts: 8 | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd take a serious look at the Kifaru Generation 2 packs. I've pretty much used them all over the years. The new G2 suspension and waist belt are very good for carrying heavy loads. The Longhunter is good for long trips and comes in several different sizes. Currently I am using the Siwash which is 4200 cu in I think with a 1000 cu in pouch and side pockets if I need them. Patrick builds a hell of a pack. Built for hunters by hunters.

Posts: 17 | Location: Colorado | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post