Grand Slam Club/Ovis    Interactive Home    Community Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  Super Slam™    Where do you live and how did you get to your current stage as a hunter?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where do you live and how did you get to your current stage as a hunter?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi guys and ladies. We have over 330 registered members on this forum. Only a handful post regularly. Lets build it up some by getting to know a little about each other. I'm only talking in terms of your hunting career, but share what you like. I'll start...

I am Bill Davis and I live in Clarksville,TN. I was born and raised in SC. I started hunting with my dad who was addicted to the outdoors. We hunted everything SC had to offer including deer, turkey, waterfowl, hogs, upland birds...just whatever was in season, we were after. I was sent to Alaska by the US Air Force at the age of 24. I fell in love with the state and it's abundant resources and opportunities. I lived up there for 21 years, hunting Dall Sheep, Brown bear, Caribou, Black Bear, Moose and of course the waterfowl and upland birds. My good buddy, Dave McNeill (grand slammer 1271) and I pretty much chased game all over the state together for a decade till he left for the lower 48. I then lived in WA state for 5 years and enjoyed the outdoors there as well, particularly the Blacktail Deer and waterfowl opportunities... In 2008 we had an opportunity here in TN so we moved back to the SE. The main hunting here is deer and turkey, with some waterfowling thrown in.

It's interesting looking back... In my 20's and 30's I was all about getting the biggest, the most, the quickest or whatever. When my son was old enough to start hunting with me I found myself becoming less concerned about taking game and more concerned with my son's success. He is a very good young hunter and I really enjoy our time outdoors together. Now that he is in college, those opportunities are fewer and farther between. I still love the NW and the west and go out there as much as possible. This fall I plan to visit WY for Antelope and Mule deer, AZ for elk and KS for deer. I'll be 52 in Sep. and hope that I can keep hitting the hills for a number of years... How about you guys?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Huntinman,

Posts: 98 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: June 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey I knew I just had to reply when I read that you live in Clarksville. I happen to live in Hopkinsville, KY. I'm only 15 and unfortunately my hunting career is hardly a career. I have only been on one hunt in my life, but really want to learn and become a better hunter someday. Even though I have barely hunted I have fished my whole life and this last October got to go tuna fishing in the Gulf of Mexico. My main goal in life is to become a better fisherman, hunter, and all around outdoorsman.

Posts: 1 | Registered: June 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
new to the site but I grew up in NH shooting the occasional birds and squirrel with my BB gun. Walked along on a few hunts with my ole man. Hunted whitetail in MN for the first time with my girlfriends family when I was 17 and I was hooked. Graduated High school and joined the Air Force just like my dad and his dad. Married my amazing wife Amber and was stationed in VA. I decided I wanted to be a pheasant hunter so I bought a dog and began to train him... then I realized there are no pheasants in VA... Thats how I discovered duck hunting! That is my vice, I love 40mph flying targets! Everything else in the world has a tenancy to not matter during duck season. Now I am stationed in AK and I harvested my first caribou this year and missed a black bear. I am 25 years old and I am going to work my ass off to achieve my holy grail THE NORTH AMERICAN SUPER SLAM

Hunt hard Dig deep Live Laugh Love

Posts: 2 | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post