Grand Slam Club/Ovis    Interactive Home    Community Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  General Talk    Is the raffle listing of value to you?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the raffle listing of value to you?
 Login/Join

posted
I need your help...

In order to get a reality check on the usefulness of the "available raffles" listings that I've done over the past few years, I really need some honest feedback. So I would sincerely appreciate your assistance via your input and by answering the question(s) posed here.

For reference, the "listings" I'm referring to are as follows:
2010: http://forums.wildsheep.org/ev...18104372/m/252100002
2009: http://forums.wildsheep.org/ev...8104372/m/3051079182
2008: http://forums.wildsheep.org/ev...8104372/m/8351043362

Thank you in advance for your help.

Question:
Is the "raffles listing" useful to you, to the point that you would like to see it continue annually?

Choices:
No
Yes

Question:
If your answer to the first question was "Yes", do you prefer the listing to be by Location of the hunt (State or Province / Country) or by Species?

Choices:
No preference

Posts: 1168 | Location: Colorado | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ramdreamer

I will vote separately in your poll. Just a thought to add .... directed to GSC/Ovis. I would like to see a link to the listing on the home page of the website. While your efforts undoubtedly increase the number of people buying tickets and thereby decreasing one's individual chance of getting drawn, I very much favor what you are doing for the simple reason that it has a high likehood of increasing funds available for sheep projects.
Thanks for your efforts.
OREGONCARL

Posts: 100 | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OREGONCARL,
Thank you for the input. I do sincerely appreciate it. The goal here started out, and continues to be, two fold. 1) To make it easy for folks to find what their options are related to the various "raffles" for these very special hunts &/or tags. 2) To provide support to the various governmental agencies, &/or the generally not-for-profit organizations, that run such raffles or drawings which focus on putting those $ back into the resource. The Grand Slam Club / Ovis folks have been very supportive of the endeavor and allowed me to always be all inclusive in the listings. To say I'm extremely grateful for that would be a gross understatement. In the past, I've tried to post like information on other website bulletin boards or forums only to have the postings removed because the owners of the site didn't want to support the resource or the organization(s) responsible for such raffles. That kind of put me off, to say the least.

By the way, the Grand Slam Club / Ovis staff has already acted upon your recommendation. There is now a link directly from the home page to the current year's "raffles" listing. Thank you very much for the suggestion!

ALL,
I was getting disappointed that we were not getting much voting - especially given the number of views of this posting. I suspected there might be an issue and a little digging by the webmaster found my concern to be valid. It turns out that this area of the forum was defaulted to require registration on the forum in order for someone to vote on a poll. Our webmaster has now altered that to enable any visitor to the site to be able to vote and thereby provide the valuable input I'm looking for. So.........., if you tried to vote before and were unable to (or simply hadn't done it yet), PLEASE provide your input now. We've tested it and it works (it would have skewed the data, but I know the input entered as a test - so I can disregard it). A big "thank you" in advance!

Posts: 1168 | Location: Colorado | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RamDreamer, the raffle/license list you put together is one of the most useful pieces of information I use every year when buying tickets and applying for tags. I would recommend you order it by application date, but the current state listing is very helpful too. My friends all wonder how I know about all these sheep hunting opportunities they have never heard of. I keep my source a secret.

Posts: 11 | Registered: June 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi ironmike,

Thank you very much for the feedback and input. I do truly appreciate it.

I must admit that it has been very disheartening to see that this poll has been viewed over 500 times, but only 35 "votes" were cast. Oh well. I hear of an occasional person that mentions having learned of a raffle / drawing through these efforts and that drives me onward.

The 2011 listing is started but I have not posted it yet. Per the limited voting, it appears that it should be catagorized by "species", so I'm setting it up that way for 2011. Beyond putting the raffle/drawing under the species, I then list them in order for either ticket purchase cut off date or drawing date (whatever information I have available to me). It will get a bit dicey when a drawing is something like a 3/4 Slam drawing and is applicable to multiple species, depending upon what the successful winner needs to fulfill their Slam dreams. Last year I made up a "multiple choice / North America" catagory. Maybe this year I'll just cut and paste such drawings and drop them into all the applicable species catagories.

Enough rambling... Thanks again.