Grand Slam Club/Ovis    Interactive Home    Community Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  General Talk    Challenge to Opine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Challenge to Opine
 Login/Join

posted
Without Ramdreamer where would we be for information, etc., etc. This must be the quietest Forum in the entire internet. To get a bit more life in this Forum, I challenge more people to get involved and to share your outlooks on life, sheep hunting, states that don't provide a bonus point system for sheep draws, etc., etc. As for myself, I just turned 70. I have tried very hard to be a responsible individual during those 70 years. Bah, humbug! The next 70 are for me. And that's all I have to say about that. OREGONCARL

Posts: 100 | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a good challenge Carl... Seems like we just don't have enough bloviators here!

My college sophomore son did draw an AZ elk tag, so we will be chasing elk in the fall...
Not sheep hunting... but we are hunting!

Posts: 98 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: June 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To all concerned + Oregoncarl & Huntinman,

Wow, alas most of the group just does not have enough time or are not concerned enough to participate. I do believe that the comming-of-age group are not too concerned with the good/welfare of the whole. I do believe that the good has left and we are to be left to our own resources ???? That may sound petty and hard but look at the hunting group worldwide as a whole. Many...MANY are just concerned with if and when they collect that cape bufffalo, argali sheep or brown bear: they could not care less about the future of hunting or the future of generation that will follow them. If I am wrong then tell me: but I am not! I am 60 years young...have seen the elephant and have hunted him. Most of the up-starts that follow us are "just tagging along for the ride". Not caring or making any contribution to the future of conservation, hunting or anything that can prolong the welfare of the black footed ferret (not that they know or care about that small animal). However, life goes ever forward and does not tary or linger in the past but life survives and prosopers; Know matter what. Forgive me but I am really sick of the so called "do-gooders" of this generation.

We are all responsible for what is happening in our world; from worlwide hunger to destruction of the habitat that supports our game animals and even the possible demise of our hunting rights. The future is in the hands of our children: Good luck on that. Many of our future generations are lazy; not caring about anyone or thing but themselves. Just look at what society has become. A mass of humans that depend on others for their support and welfare. Since when is is "OK" for the masses to be supported by the few? To ask any of this group to make a contribution of any kind is asking for them take time from watching television or playing videos games to try and actually communicate with the REAL world. Ha ! We need to take control: make positive decisions (political and far reaching) to help to preserve the world we know and cherish. To help, aid and assist mankind...that we can move ever forward into the next generation that can combat world hunger, global warming (if it ever exsisted) and try to bring some peace to an over-crowded world. To think that any of the future generation will contribute to a forun on hunting is like asking the beaver to help the trapper...it is not gonna happen. But there is always the possibility that someone can and will step forward.

We need to stop waiting for someone else to help. We all need to stand up and make the right decisions. Start by making a deference; go to town and communtiy meetings. Give your opinion...neither right or wrong but YOURS; Let you voice be heard. America was founded by that voice...the voice that never stops asking questions, supporting the needy and protecting those who cannot protect themselves. Thinking that someone else will make that step is being lazy and non-committed. Now is the time for decision and change. Our future and the rights of are grandchildren and all those that follow us are asking you & I to "stand up" and do the right thing! How can we delay?

So, asking anyone on this forum to "please" write about a hunting trip, comment on an outfitter of just give an opinion seems to be asking a lot. BS: stand up and be counted. Quit blaming someone else for the way the hunting world is turning out. Costs are high because we hunters PAY those fees. We have to bribe states for licenses (the point system) because some smart guy figured out that hunters WILL pay for that right. And waiting years for a desert bighorn sheep tag is stupid: find something else to hunt. The states will figure it out. And you guys that can pay for those over-priced tags for sheep or the unicorn or whatever...please quit paying them. You are hurting us all. The animals are for us all...not the privileged few who have the means to hunt anywhere any time. Get it ? Jack O' Connor would have and should have turned over in his geave (Jack was cremated..by-the-way and so was his wife Eleanor). Jack would have sounded the trumpet from "on high" because of all the crap that has ensued since his lifetime. Hunting is a past-time not a profession for most of us. The good outfitters would tell you the same. The trophy is the end of a good and often great hunt..it does not matter the point count or spread; But today that woud not be the case. Do not give in to having to collect the biggest or best animal. If the hunt was good and stalk was long and tiring and the animal was collected in an ethical manner...then, it is a trophy. The biggest horns the most points only say to me that you got LUCKEY. Most trophies were collected by luck...period.

So, let's get back to Oregoncarl & the rest: help us all out and contribute to this and other forums. Be constructive...not condescending. Give comments that benefit all not just you and your chosen cronies. Try and help us all out by showing us the way. We are the future. Don't sit back and wait for someone to clean you rifle...get it? Get up and get going...if we don't we are sure to end as Rome and all the other civilizations of lazy tired citizens waiting for SOMEONE else to take the reins and stir us down the pathway of the future.

Sorry if I have offended any...just an old man thinking out loud.

At least I wrote!

tidbit

Posts: 10 | Registered: August 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Tidbit, I was just thinking about you the other day. Then I log on, and lo and behold... there you are! Good post. Don't know if I agree with all of it, but you made some very good points. And like you said, at least you said your piece. This forum could really be a great resource if it was used. As it is, it is a great resource to know what tags are available thanks to Ramdreamer, but it could be so much more.

Just got back from a late season elk hunt in Northern AZ. My son decided to kill his elk in the bottom of one of the nastiest, steepest canyons in the unit. Hard on his old soft dad and uncle! Luckily the kid has grown into a pretty good packer and we "let" him carry the heaviest loads up the canyon. My brother and I would be doubled over gasping for air and my son just looked at us like he was out for a Sunday stroll! Ah... to be 20 again! Doesn't seem that long ago when I was packing the kid around the hills and now... we never would have gotten that elk out of there if not for the kid. He has grown up to be a pretty good hunter...

Posts: 98 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: June 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huntinman,

Nice to hear from you. I do get on a rant and I have a bit of a hard time controlling my OPINIONS (you can ask my wife...ha). I did not intend for all the group to agree...but I did take the time to express some of my thoughts...not accepted by all...but mine.

I just do not see "hunters causes" improving. Limited licenses, lotteries, high tag fees, and many states have the "point system" going for them: Kinda like bribery to me? But what do I know.

We live in a world and country controlled by the few...trying to manage for the many. Where approximately 500 politicals control 300 million citizens...it just does not work. And it is not getting any better...but back to this forum.

We need to fight for our rights; whatever they be. The government appears to want to try and disarm us...good luck on that. I truly do not beleive that many of us are watching. This forum sort-of shows that. Some of this group have the means to hunt about anywhere anytime and even they do not respond by writing. Now, my time is like anyone elses...mine! And I do try and comment every now-and-then. However most
readers just sit in the background and watch never expressing thought or opinion...neither right or wrong. Now some do not write because of fear of "written" verbal abuse and I do understnd that. There will ALWAYS be someone who does not agree with you...so what...he has his opinion too. But we are chatting about something most of us care dearly about: HUNTING. It takes only minutes to write a few lines...most just are not concerned enough.

Have you ever been to a state wildlife meeting? Well it is not what you think. There are few who attend and those that do mostly sit back and listen and do not express their concerns.
Sometimes there are angered words that, I am sure, are lost in the discussion. Mostly, it is the same old faces and the majority just go along with what the state employees want to do.
Business is brought to the floor...it is discussed and after discussion...it goes to a vote. If it is passed that-is-that and you either have higher fees, shorter seasons or whatever the board has gaveled. I am awed by the fact that if you have a question or concern or express you thoughts the moderator wants to know...who are YOU! Does it matter who I am? Silly. So much for state meetings.

Well, sorry to rattle on again; An old man thinking out loud.

If I have offended any please accept my apology. However, I did have the courage to write!

tidbit

tid

"Always do right: this will astonish some and amaze the rest." Mark Twain

posted Hide Post
Hey Tidbit, did you get out west at all this year? Other than my son's elk... the highlight of my season was my 8 year old granddaughter getting her first deer on Christmas eve while sitting right next to me!

posted Hide Post
Huntinman & Group,

Yes, I did make it out west this year: Spring black bear hunt in Idaho & Texas whitetail deer, in December, near Eldorado. Both were wonderful hunts and each had it's "high's & low's".

Idaho is a wonderful place with many opportunities for the hunt. We booked this hunt with Shepp Ranch near Riggins Idaho. The ranch is owned by Tim Turnbill and his wife and managed by Mike & Lynn Demurse...wonderful people. The hunt began with a 40 minute jet-boat ride upstream to the ranch. Shepp has been in operation for almost 100 years and they have many great trips. Anything from early season salmon fishint to late season elk & deer. And if you are luckey enough to draw one...a sheep hunt. And YES, we did see sheep.

We spent about a week in the mountains and hunted for 4 or 5 days. We both collected black bear and seen many elk, sheep and bear. I beleive that our bear count was at 12 or 14 when my partner collected his bruin. Lots and lots of hiking involved here: spot & stalk is the way to do it. You get up early, have a hearty delicious breakfest and then you get a boat ride to a drop-off point and the up-hill hiking begins. You will cover many miles and see simply beautiful country along the salmon river. You are rewarded, after the hike, by spectacular vistas of the Gospel Hump Wilderness...REAL wilderness...no motoized vechiles here. You ride horses or hike-up. If you are bear hunting...you hike-up.

It was a really good hunt. We are going back in 2013.

Texas: what can one say about this whitetail mecca. Texas is big beautiful and is loaded with hunting opportunities. We booked this hunt with the Highlonesome Ranch near Eldorado Texas. Paul & Tyler Wislon are the owners of this operation. Our group spent 4 days there chasing the whitetail deer. Many deer were seen and looked over but alas, we did not collect that 10 pointer we were lookin to harvest: I guess that gives us an excuse to go back.

Not too exciting a year for us but 2012 lies ahead. Presently we have an elk & mule deer hunt in Wyoming booked with S N S Outfitters (we have used Sy's operation before). And that is about all as of this writing. Have been thinking of maybe an Aoudad in the Spring but we have not booked anything as yet.

Hope that gives anyone interested what we are doing. Hoping that you too are having some good hunting opportunities.

Chat later,

tid

posted Hide Post
That bear hunt really sounds like fun! Idaho is a beautiful place. Did you see any color phase bears?

posted Hide Post
Huntinman,

Yes we did: we had three phases...black, brown and cinnamon. All were wonderful creatures in a totally wild environment. Some were lone males and others were sows with cubs...if I remember we witnessed a sow run her cub up a tree to avoid an approaching boar: she too went up the tree and then after the boar had wandered off she and the cub climbed down and headed for safer pastures. What a site! Really neat to see it happen in the wild...that sow had that boar long before he arrived.

We hunted mostly on foot...hard on this old man. We asked the guide if we could ride one day and were treated to a nice long hunt on mules. I think mules are a good ride: sure footed, calm and not in too much of a hurry...just like me. It was fun to ride along and stop to glass likely places for bear. We had a great fun looking back into some places that don't see too many hunters.

Glad we went to Idaho!

tid