Grand Slam Club/Ovis    Interactive Home    Community Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  General Talk    Sheep Hunting Books
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheep Hunting Books
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking for a good book on sheep hunting that will be both informative and entertaining. The four books that have caught my attention are:

1. Sheep & Sheep Hunting by Jack O'Connor.
2. Great Rams & Great Ram Hunters I & II by Robert Anderson.
3. Obsessed by Soudy Golabchi
4. Ovis Ammon by Jose Madrazo

Any comments on these books or recommendations for others would be appreciated.

Posts: 4 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: July 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You also need to check out a few of the books written by Tony Russ from Alaska www.tonyruss.com , like:

- Sheep Hunting in Alaska, 2nd Edition
- Sheep Stalking in Alaska
- The Quest for Dall Sheep

Another good one is "Bighorns and Stone Sheep" by Chris Kind.

Posts: 48 | Location: Alberta | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Salmo22, no sheep hunters library is complete without a copy of "from the Himalayas to the Rockies" from Mitchell and Frisina.

Posts: 13 | Registered: March 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tomahawk & ka3achmah:

Thank you for the recommendations. I hope others will chime-in with thier comments. I never imagined there were this many good books on sheep hunting.

In three months I turn 55 and have been bitten by the sheep hunting bug big time. If ever I had motivation to get my body in shape this is it. I'm hoping to glean great information from these books and also enjoy some tremendous entertainment.

Thanks again.

Posts: 4 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: July 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Horns In The High Country by Andy Russell is a very good relatively inexpensive book if you can find it about Alberta sheep hunting.

Posts: 17 | Location: Colorado | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bitten by the sheep bug, eh Salmo22??? Welcome to the club!

Good job Terry, I can't believe that I forgot about Horns in the High Country - that is a great book.

Salmo22, I also noticed that you didn't mention Robert Anderson's other sheep hunting book "Wind, Dust and Snow - Great Rams of Asia".

Posts: 48 | Location: Alberta | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tomahawk:
Bitten by the sheep bug, eh Salmo22??? Welcome to the club!

Good job Terry, I can't believe that I forgot about Horns in the High Country - that is a great book.

Salmo22, I also noticed that you didn't mention Robert Anderson's other sheep hunting book "Wind, Dust and Snow - Great Rams of Asia".

Tomahawk:

After many years of fly fishing, quail hunting and competitive benchrest shooting, I figured there were no more outdoor addictions in my life - was I wrong. I've been in the middle of a remodel of my humble residence and was talking with my concrete guy at lunch the other day.

He proceeded to tell me about his Desert Bighorn and Dall Sheep hunts. By the time he was done talking, it was if I had taken a pure dose of the finest heroin. The notion of hunting these great animals in the high mountains is overwhelming to me. I've been watching anything I can on TV that involves sheep hunting. I even found a DVD to watch. I can't get enough information and wanted to expand my library accordingly.

Thanks.

posted Hide Post
To illustrate the depth of this most recent addiction, here is a list of sheep/mountain hunting books and DVDs for my library. I'm going to need counseling!

2. Great Rams & Great Ram Hunters I by Robert Anderson.
3. Great Rams & Great Ram Hunters II by Robert Anderson.
4. Wind, Dust and Snow - Great Rams of Asia by Robert Anderson.
5. Obsessed by Soudy Golabchi.
6. Ovis Ammon by Jose Madrazo.
7. Safari En China by Jose Madrazo.
8. Sheep Hunting in Alaska by Tony Russ.
9. Sheep Stalking in Alaska by Tony Russ.
10. The Quest for Dall Sheep by Tony Russ.
11. Horns in the High Country by Andy Russell.
12. From the Himalayas to the Rockies by Dr. R. Mitchell and Dr. M. Frisina.
13. In the High Himalayas by H. Whistler.
14. Mountain Game of the World by SCI.
15. Song of the Summits by Jesus Yuren.
16. Hunting and Guiding for Desert Bighorn Sheep by Bob Householder.
17. The Grand Slam of North American Wild Sheep by Bob Householder.
18. Trophy Rams of the Brooks Range by Duncan Gilchrist.
19. Quest for Giant Bighorns by Duncan Gilchrist.
20. Hunt High by Duncan Gilchrist.
21. Skyline Pursuits by John Batten.
22. The Best of Sheep Hunting by John Batten.
23. Campfires on Desert and Lava by William Hornaday.
24. McElroy Hunts Mountain Game by CJ McElroy.
25. The Desert Bighorn by Gale Monson & Lowell Sumner.
26. After Wild Sheep in the Altai and Mongolia by E. Demidoff.
27. Taking Your Chances in the High Country by J. Rikhoff.
28. Return of Royalty by Dale Toweill.
29. The Great Arc of the Wild Sheep by J.L. Clark.
30. Black Shale/ White Sheep – DVD.
31. Sheep Hunting the Alaska Range – DVD.
32. Alaskan Sheep Hunting – DVD.
33. Rampage, Alaska Dall Sheep Hunting – DVD.
34. Rams in the Mist – DVD.
35. Quest for Mongolian Argalis – DVD.
36. Dream Rams – DVD.
37. Full Curl – DVD.
38. Big Horn Rams III – DVD.
39. Nahanni Twisters – DVD.
40. Sheep on the Edge – DVD.
41. The Hunt for Marco Polo Sheep – DVD.
42. Legends of Hunting/The Great Shikar – DVD.

posted Hide Post
Wow, that is a pretty awesome list for sure. Another good sheep hunting watch is "Wild Mountain Big Horn Rams" and you can find it on Monster Muleys at http://www.monstermuleys.com/c...age=aa-biggamevideos

Good luck with the addiction - it always starts with one!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salmo22:
To illustrate the depth of this most recent addiction, here is a list of sheep/mountain hunting books and DVDs for my library. I'm going to need counseling!

2. Great Rams & Great Ram Hunters I by Robert Anderson.
3. Great Rams & Great Ram Hunters II by Robert Anderson.
4. Wind, Dust and Snow - Great Rams of Asia by Robert Anderson.
5. Obsessed by Soudy Golabchi.
6. Ovis Ammon by Jose Madrazo.
7. Safari En China by Jose Madrazo.
8. Sheep Hunting in Alaska by Tony Russ.
9. Sheep Stalking in Alaska by Tony Russ.
10. The Quest for Dall Sheep by Tony Russ.
11. Horns in the High Country by Andy Russell.
12. From the Himalayas to the Rockies by Dr. R. Mitchell and Dr. M. Frisina.
13. In the High Himalayas by H. Whistler.
14. Mountain Game of the World by SCI.
15. Song of the Summits by Jesus Yuren.
16. Hunting and Guiding for Desert Bighorn Sheep by Bob Householder.
17. The Grand Slam of North American Wild Sheep by Bob Householder.
18. Trophy Rams of the Brooks Range by Duncan Gilchrist.
19. Quest for Giant Bighorns by Duncan Gilchrist.
20. Hunt High by Duncan Gilchrist.
21. Skyline Pursuits by John Batten.
22. The Best of Sheep Hunting by John Batten.
23. Campfires on Desert and Lava by William Hornaday.
24. McElroy Hunts Mountain Game by CJ McElroy.
25. The Desert Bighorn by Gale Monson & Lowell Sumner.
26. After Wild Sheep in the Altai and Mongolia by E. Demidoff.
27. Taking Your Chances in the High Country by J. Rikhoff.
28. Return of Royalty by Dale Toweill.
29. The Great Arc of the Wild Sheep by J.L. Clark.
30. Black Shale/ White Sheep – DVD.
31. Sheep Hunting the Alaska Range – DVD.
32. Alaskan Sheep Hunting – DVD.
33. Rampage, Alaska Dall Sheep Hunting – DVD.
34. Rams in the Mist – DVD.
35. Quest for Mongolian Argalis – DVD.
36. Dream Rams – DVD.
37. Full Curl – DVD.
38. Big Horn Rams III – DVD.
39. Nahanni Twisters – DVD.
40. Sheep on the Edge – DVD.
41. The Hunt for Marco Polo Sheep – DVD.
42. Legends of Hunting/The Great Shikar – DVD.

Congratulations Salmo22

Very nice library, also i´m fanatic of sheep books and videoas, so, beside de books that you list, that I only missing one “5. Obsessed by Soudy Golabchi.”

I ADD TO THE MUST TO READ LIST, THE FOLLOWING BOOKS AND DVD THAT I HAD, SOME ARE IN SPANISH AND FRENCH.

1.- RETURN OF ROYALTY, BY DR. DALE E. TOWELL AND DR. VALERIUS GEIST
2.- THE ART OF HUNTING BIG GAME IN NORTH AMERICA, BY JACK O´CONNOR
3.-TALES OF A BIG GAME GUIDE BY RUSSELL ANABEL
4.- TROPHY HUNTERS IN ASIA, BY ELGIN T. GATES
5.- THOSE WERE THE DAYS BY RUDOLF SAND (AWESOME BOOK)
6.-.EL BORREGO CIMARRON BY ALBERTO TAPIA LANDEROS (SPANISH)
7.-BORREGO CIMARRON BY ALBERTO TAPIA LANDEROS ( THE BEST OF DESERT SHEEP) SPANISH
8.-BORREGO CIMARRON BAJA CALIFORNIA HUNTING SEASON 1974, BY DIRECCION GENERAL DE LA FAUNA SILVESTRE (SPANISH)
9.-THE WOLD SHEEP OF THE WORLD BY RAUL VALDEZ
10-WILD SHEEP AND WILD SHEEP HUNTERS OF THE OLD WORLD BY RAUL VALDEZ
11.-WILD SHEEP AND WILD SHEEP HUNTERS OF THE NEW WORLD BY RAUL VALDEZ
12.- LORDS OF THE PINNACLES, WILD GOAT OF THE WOLD BY RAUL VALDEZ
13.-MEMORIES OF A SHEEP HUNTER BY RASHID JAMSHEED
14.- MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION BY ISRAEL TORRES
15.- PERSIA SAFARI EN LAS CUMBRES, BY RICARDO MEDEM (WEATHERBY AWARD WINNER) SPANISH
16.- EN LA MIRA BY RICARDO MEDEM (WEATHERBY AWARD WINNER)SPANISH
17.-ARGALI BY RICARDO MEDEM (WEATHERBY AWARD WINNER)SPANISH
18.- TRAS LA ESTRELLA MAS ALTA BY RICARDO MEDEM (WEATHERBY AWARD WINNER) SPANISH
19.- BIG GAME HUNTING IN ASIA, AFRICA AND ELSEWERE BY JACQUES VETTIER (AWESOME BOOK IN FRENCH)

ALSO IN THE BOOK “3. Great Rams & Great Ram Hunters II by Robert Anderson.” IN THE PAGE 144, I WAS THERE, WITH A PICTURE OF MY STONE SHEEP.

BEST REGARDS,

Posts: 6 | Registered: August 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure if I am duplicating previously mentioned books, but add:

Mountain Sheep and Man in the Northern Wilds - Valerius Geist
Mountain Sheep (A Study in Behaviour and Evolution) - Valerius Geist

Posts: 7 | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well it is to see that Valerius Geist works were noted.For those who are not familiar with Geist he was a professor at the University of Calgary and his books are technical studies.His book Mountain Sheep a study in behavior and evolution has a lot of information on sheep behavior.Knowing sheep behavior will make you a better sheep hunter.If that is your goal then this is the book you should read.It is not a easy read and does not have the photos and stories of a book like Great Rams by Robert Anderson.From a read point of view Robert Andersons works are hard to beat.

Posts: 8 | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My two-bits worth based on 60+ years of reading. In my profession as an attorney and as an individual, I have read and/or composed tens of thousands of pages of documents. I look for factual accuracy [attorneys make their cases on the facts] and whether an author interjects self into a story. Jack O'Connor was a great story teller. But who knows how much his stories were factually accurate since he seems to have kept few or no field notes. As for current authors, I'll take Boddington and Van Zwoll. And Van Brunt as a developing author. Maybe I am biased; I personally have known two of these authors for over 20 years. If I want to be regaled by flowery prose, etc., I'll read it for pleasure, not to educate and make me a more informed and knowledgeable hunter and biologist. [Actually I don't read such works for pleasure: I read history and more particularly WW II history.] As for my interest in scientific knowledge, my undergraduate degree and four years graduate study were in zoology-ecology ... birds and mammals.

Read Kiplings description of the top of the world to experience the emotional power of the English language and the mountain animals we so insanely pursue. Or watch Brittingham's video of his father's and uncle's early hunts and his own for Marco Polo and argali. Visual and musical artistry.

And that's the rest of this story .....

OREGONCARL

Posts: 100 | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which reminds me: I have many books, magazines, etc. to pass on. Some will cost nothing but shipping costs ... maybe nothing if you live close enough to Portland. What is not disposed of soon might go into a yard sale this summer. I will put together a list to e-mail but for now some as follows:
Books/publications The Bighorn Sheep in the U. S. by Buechner May 1960 Wildlife Monograph No. 4 $25; The Bighorn of Death Valley by Welles and Welles 1961 Nat'l. Parks Fauna Series No. 6 $25; The Desert Bighorn Sheep in Arizona by Russo AZ G&F Wildlife Bull. No. 1 3rd printing 1965 $25 [all softback and near new condition]. I have many more such publications on other game specieis and a few books of possible interest. For example what is the 1962 B&C record book worth to you?

Also magazines: Outdoor Life (OL), Field & Stream (F&S) and Sports Afield (SA) back to early 1950s. Interesting reading for GSC/Ovis fans in some early magazines such as OL Oct. 1957 New World Record by Frank Cook and Bert Klineburger letter to the editor on John Belcher grand slam with photos of lifesize mounts; OL Nov. 1958 Jack O'Connor and Elgin Gates after aoudad in French Equatorial Africa; OL Jan. 1960 We Shot the Works by Bob Householder (4 for 4 on AZ desert rams) and for Super Slam readers Fred Mercer's BIG Montana elk; OL March 1960 The Bighorn by O'Connor; OL April 1960 Stone ram hunt by Fred Bear; OL May 1960 The Desert Bighorn by O'Connor; OL Jan. 1962 DIY Dall sheep in Alaska by Jenkins; OL Feb. 1962 O'Connor and Herb Klein in Turkistan for urial and ibex; OL Jan. 1963 Stone sheep in B. C. by Don Peck and many other mountain hunting stories. Authors in these early magazines include Russell Annabel, Erwin Bauer, Fred Bear, Charles Elliott, Grancel Fitz, Grits Gresham, Frank Hibben et al.

What are the magazines are worth to you? I'll have a reasonably complete list of books and magazines together to e-mail within a few days. If interested send me an e-mail and lets see what we can work out.

OREGONCARL

posted Hide Post
Whoops! At my age, what do you expect? It is OREGONCARL@AOL.COM

posted Hide Post
Hey Salmo!
Don't spend all your money on books. Save some for the raffles/state lotteries/application services/long shot state tags on which you will soon be spending thousands. Not to mention trips to GSC/O, SCI, Dallas and other conventions. And then there's the gear, which because it is ultra-light is ultra-expensive! I did my first mountain hunt at age 48 and was not nearly prepared enough physically. But I was prepared mentally, which counts more. Yes, every step hurt but taken one at a time it can be done. You won't get that experience for a book, so start building points, learning to ride a horse, practicing your 400 yard shots and climbing with a heavy pack.

Posts: 11 | Registered: June 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Knowledge comes from books.Knowledge of sheep behavior is found in books.Pounding the hills,riding a horse,practicing long distance shooting ect ect is not the sole solution.Knowledge from books and contact with outdoor people is important.Buy books and videos,go to conventions,apply out of state for permits,buy raffle tickets.Be well rounded.

Posts: 8 | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Priorities and perspectives. To hunt or to read; to read or to hunt; Or...? Luckily in these times, we can do both, and a lot more. But what about priorities? When I was young many moons ago, I was told many times that God, country, family and then self should be one's priorities. What are yours? Which brings me by some strange route of rationalization to the topic of this post.
Going through all the old hunting magazines, I came across two articles of interest by Jack O'Connor. In one he describes his last sheep hunt at age 69. He did preface it as 'maybe' his last. How times have changed over the past 40 years: look around and see how many now eagerly and capably climb the mountains at 69 and much older. The other article was Jack O'Connor's take on the grand slam quest. Or might I say his criticism as to the direction he saw it going. He was the greatest hunting short story writer of the 20th century. His opinions are those of someone at the very top of his profession; he was used to getting what he wanted. Maybe in his 'old' age, he found that he had excited too many with his sheep hunting stories; he was suddenly facing competition for the very resources that gave him the material for his stories and reputation. He lit the fire and then couldn't understand why it was burning so brightly. He tells us that the early years in B. C. allowed two Stone sheep per hunter. How many would sell their soul for such an opportunity?
One thing Jack O'Connor says that I surely agree with. The comradery and ecstasy of mountain sheep hunting no longer seems as important. For example what about the proliferation of awards? What is happening: Is it a competition to see how many awards a person can pile up? And what does the 'winner' get? A respected outfitter told me of a sheep hunter who never seemed to uncrate his sheep mounts. As the number and kind of awards increase, the threshold of meaningless gets nearer and nearer. We cannot reasonably expect that everyone can 'win' first prize.
There is only one award with real significance in the Grand Slam context .... the award and recognition of a person's FIRST Grand Slam. How many have mortgaged the house to reach that goal? Awards are like marriages ... the more you have, the less meaningful they are. My bowling trophies sit in a box somewhere. I long for a return to comradery and away from commercialization. I will happily do with less to get more. The soul lives on; Materialistic possessions do not.
And about Jack O'Connor's article about the grand slam quest ... interesting for the early history of grand slammers ... I'll scan and e-mail it to anyone wanting to read it, if I don't get into trouble with Outdoor Life or the Jack O'Connor estate.
OREGONCARL@AOL.COM

posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks for that comprehensive list! I would also love to read more about sheep hunting and know I have a point where I can start. Thanks for all the recommendations and reviews here, this is a great forum for people that are new to sheep hunting.

Posts: 3 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good. I like it. Thanks for sharing the books name. These books are very useful for Sheep hunters.

Posts: 1 | Registered: January 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post